5

FIVE

I walk through the front door yelling at Dean to "PLEASE SHUT UP!"

We argued the whole fifteen minutes home. First it was about him taking so long to get to his car. And then he said if I'm going to complain then I could always walk. And I said fine but he locked the doors and said that I wasn't leaving the damn car because what is his mom going to think?

And then we argued and complained about having to work together until it all boiled down to maybe he'd be less of a jerk if my father didn't mow our freaking lawn on a Saturday morning.

"That doesn't even make sense." I'd said and he said, "Whatever." And then started listing all the reasons why he really didn't want to work with me. (Whiny, spoilt and boring) I'm pretty sure have more reasons why I don't want to work with him.

I sit at the kitchen table and put my bag on my lap. Just waiting. If Dean wants to leave then he can. I wasn't going to try anymore.

From the doorway, Dean sighs and walks over to me. "Let's just do what we have to do so I can go home." Dean says. He pulls out a chair and sits at the table with his bag at his feet.

"Fine." I say. I retrieve the a paper from my bag and write down APP on the top. "Mr Daniel said that we need to come up with some questions for the users about their hobbies and stuff. "I'll do the first one." I write 'What is your favorite genre of music?' Dean leans forward and takes a look.

"OK." he says, "Favorite movie and genre."

I write that down and add 'Sports' just in case, even though it really doesn't matter to me. I don't think Cole plays any sports and I like him regardless. Macey, on the other hand, has always always gone for guys who are athletic. She once dated a golfer and I said that didn't count as athletic and she said "Whatever Val."

They broke up after two months. Gat is a swimmer, a really good one, and I really hope they don't break up because they're so cute together.

"Books." I say out loud, because that does matter. "Favorite food, song, hobbies..." I write down whatever else I can think of. "What else is important?" I ask Dean. He drums his fingers against the table, thinking.

"Tongue or no tongue."

I feel all the blood boiling in my veins. But I close my eyes and take a deep breath. The knifes were too close to me right now. The deep breathing thingy does NOT work. I clench my fist and glare at Dean.

"What?" He says, "That's important." He smirks at me then leans back and folds his hands behind his head. "Besides. None of these things really matter. That's not how people fall in love."

"Then how?" I say, actually curious to hear what Dean has to say. Of course these things mattered. Couples always have something in common. I don't even believe in the whole 'opposites attract' crap. That only worked for magnets.

"People fall in love in mysterious ways." Dean says, "They don't fall in love just because they like the same song."

I don't say anything as I tuck some stray curls away from my face. Dean starts whistling but then he stops and leans really close to me. "If you must know, Blythe, " he says, and pulls a few curls back onto my face, "I like a little tongue." He winks.

I feel my cheeks growing pink but I'm not blushing. I jerk away from Dean, disgusted. "I can't do this." I say. "I really can't with you. Tomorrow, I'm telling Ms Fitz that you're impossible to work with." I start getting up but Dean grabs my hand and yanks me back down.

"Fuck it Blythe!" Dean says, putting his hands up, "I really can't deal with your lack of a sense of humor."

"And I can't deal with your inability to take things seriously!" I yell. "And don't fucking cuss in my house." I lower my voice because Nina's coming down the stairs into the kitchen.

He shakes his head. "Nice example." Dean retorts, under his breath. He looks at Nina who's drinking a glass of orange juice by the fridge and points with his thumb toward me, "She has a dirty mouth doesn't she?"

Nina, ever the angel, finishes her juice and smiles. "No. I understand." she says, her big brown eyes wide. "You guys are teenagers. You're filled with rage. And raging hormones." she adds, as an after thought.

Dean snorts rudely but his face is amused. All I want to know is where Nina hears these things. When Nina nods her curls bob up and down. "Yup." she says, "It's true. One moment you're screaming at each and then you'll be kissing on the kitchen table."

I stick my finger in my mouth and make a loud and exaggerated gagging noise. Dean looks at me and crinkles his nose. "Never Nina." I say. "I'm pretty sure that will never ever happen."

"Sure." Nina says. "That what they all say in the movies and then look at what happens. R-ratings happen."

Dean looks at me again and laughs an absurd laugh. "You're a funny kid." he tells Nina.

"Thanks." Nina pours another glass of orange juice and carries it in one hand toward the staircase. I fold the paper with our really stupid questions in half and chuck it into my bag. We'll probably have to edit it tomorrow. Meanwhile, I wanted Dean out of my house. As soon as possible.

"We're done." I say, "Go home." He ignores me completely.

"I like her." Dean says, watching Nina go up the stairs. "She's nothing like you."