14

FOURTEEN

Cole is nowhere to be seen Monday, not even at assembly, not even in math class, and it's not like I was looking out for him.

Not really.

Macey warned me to ignore him at all costs today and I was determined to do it. Until I realized that I didn't have any skills at dodging all dimpled, brown-haired boys. It was simply because he wasn't there and I was wasting my time carrying a large (not to mention heavy) biology book around all day so I could block my face just in case I ran in to him.

Then I'd have to poke my finger to his chest and scream at him right there in the hallway. And I could do without the drama today. 

After that Cole-isn't-at-school revelation, the day goes by drama and biology book free, with me slowly making my way from each class, doodling broken hearts on my notebooks, watching Macey and Gatwick exchange (not so) secret glances across the lawn at lunch and in the hallway and answering more questions about the app like, "He asks for a selfie. Why can't I send him a selfie?"

I take a mental note of all the things I have to tell Dean that we have to mention over the intercom the next day.

I didn't travel with him this morning because my mom was already taking Nina to school because she had to speak to her teacher (something about Nina having large wads of cash in her shoes). So I only see Dean at the end of the day, when the parking lot is nearly deserted and Macey is long gone. 

I only notice he's behind me when I get to his car and, finding it locked (what did I even expect?), lean against it to wait. I startle when I see him because I had no idea when he started walking a few steps behind me.

He's with Gina, who's laughing like everything word that comes from his mouth is oh-so-funny!

Dean gives me a little nod of acknowledgement when he see me, too engrossed in his conversation to say the usual, "What's up, Blythe?" and wait for my curt reply of whatever I feel like sharing that day.

Gina hangs onto his arm and looks up and him, mesmerized. It's sickening to watch them, almost, so I make a point of looking over my shoulder at the street, before pulling out my phone and typing my match a message.

Sorry for freaking out yesterday.

Dean clears his throat then, and I look up and see him reaching into his pocket for his keys. He's saying good-bye to Gina, I think, because he gestures to me with his thumb and lets her wrap him in a tight (possibly soul-crushing) hug. You know, the same one from the last episode of Let's Flirt! Live! and all the others before that.

"Bye Dean."Gina says, her voice deep and sultry and everything mine is not, "Call me tonight, 'kay?" She doesn't even glance my way, just winks at Dean as she walks--no, sways-- away.

Dean turns to me, still grinning, his face flushed and blushing. I roll my eyes and shake my head at him.

"Hey Poof." He syas, obviously in a good mood. "I missed you this morning." He grins in a teasing way and I smile at him with narrowed eyes and one eyebrow raised. He unlocks his sparkling black gem (his car) and gets behind the wheel as I make myself comfy in the back.

I kind of did miss the leather seats and AC (Mom likes the windows rolled down--which does nothing good for my wild hair).

"Really?" I say. Dean turns out of the parking lot and speeds away from the school.

"Yup." He says, "I like yelling and arguing in the morning. It really helps--" he clears his throat exaggeratedly, "My voice."