4

FOUR

Ms Fitz goes crazy. Almost.

She calls Mr Daniel right away and he tells us 'OK. Fine'. But we're going to have to come up with the questions and design for the app by tomorrow if we want to get a head start. (I don't get how everyone keeps ignoring the fact that it's only January).

Anyway, that's why I tell Macey I can't come over after school anymore.

"Fine." she says, when I tell her after school, twirling a silver midi ring around her finger.

We both have one, it's our friendship ring, but you'd never notice that one ring on Macey because she's a jewelery girl. She's got rings on her finger and bells on her toes. OK. No. But she wears a lot of rings. And she's got three piercings in her left ear and two in her right. I only have one in each.

"I guess I'm going to be Netflix and chilling all on my own then."

I stuff my folder into my bag. It barely fits. "What about Gat?" I say, looking at her carefully.

Macey's hazel eyes sweep the floor.

"I don't think he can make it." She says as we walk out of class. I'm supposed to meet Dean by his car in a few minutes. He usually stays back for music practice (he plays the guitar) but of course, Ms Fitz got him out of that too. We're walking down the hallway and I'm about to ask Macey why Gat can't make it when she shoves me against a locker.

"Ow!" I say, rubbing my shoulder. "Why would you--"

"Cole is coming. Act causal."

Despite my throbbing shoulder, I casually lean against the locker and pull out my phone. Macey checks out the rings on her fingers. One second. Two.

"Hey." Oh God, his voice.

I see Cole's sneakers first and slowly bring my eyes up to his face. He's hella cute up close.

"Oh. Hi." I say, making my voice sound surprised.

Cole smiles a little and I smile back. We hold eye contact for at least eight seconds.

OK. It was more like four, but still. I hope Macey is seeing this. He breaks eye contact when his eyes flick from mine to my phone.

Perfect.

He sees my phone and then his brain will tell him to ask for my number. Go ahead Cole. Do it. It's 555-

But no.

"Um. Valerie?"

"Yes?" Curly strand goes behind my ear... now. Cole smiles a real smile this time. I nearly die.

"My locker. You're in front of my locker."

"Oh." I say out loud. Damn it, I say, in my head. Well, that was a fail.

Oh Cole, what a coincidence running into you here! At school! In front of your damn locker!

I step out of the way and walk down the hall as quickly as I can. I hear Macey behind me. "No." I say, before she can speak, "I really don't want to talk about it."

"Fine Val." she says, a hint of amusement in her voice. "I'll call you tonight. OK?"

"OK. Bye."

Macey lives close enough to school to walk home. I watch her walk away as I stand by Dean's car. The afternoon sun is hot on my skin and I feel beads of sweat forming on my hairline. I watch as the parking lot gets isolated in front of my very eyes.

Years, and years later I spot Dean walking towards his car with that Gina girl. He sees me frowning at him and unlocks his car with the button on his keys. I get into the back seat but I don't shut the door because inside is hot like a freaking oven.

Dean is going slowly on purpose. I watch the whole play: Let's Flirt! Live! Starring Dean Pinkette and Gina Carson, while I burn alive in Dean's stupid shiny black car.

Well, at least I'll die in style.

Gina finally hugs Dean goodbye (the press-my-boobs-against-your-chest kind of of hug) and he takes his cool time to walk over to the car. He's got this pleased look on his face. I, on the other hand probably have ugly red marks on the back of my thighs. I'm so pissed. And embarrassed by the whole Cole-locker incident. But I think I'm more pissed right now than embarrassed.

Dean better not say anything or he'll regret it.