25

TWENTY FIVE

I like the idea of fortune cookies. I like that's there no telling what fortune is inside. It's a lot like life actually. Like love. There's just no telling and it's always a surprise. 

The fortune cookies sold so fast today at the mini fair, I was convinced we should have tripled the recipe. I stare at the last one in the jar, forgotten at the bottom, debating whether or not I should take it, while Dean records the amount of money we've made for the day.

This morning was pretty awkward in his car and by awkward I mean very awkward. I couldn't think of a good reason to get my mom to drop me off instead and outside, there he was, waiting for me. 

"Hey." He'd said before he started the engine, "Last night... I wasn't thinking and..."

But I cut him off. "Just a kiss, right?"

Right?

He nodded. Then all there was was the sound of AC from the vents and Dean's music from the stereo. And it stayed that way right up to the our brief meeting with Ms Fitz where she commended our determination to be creative and said "Looking forward to the rest of the week. Four more days."

UGH.

Next to Dean I covered my eyes with my hand and rolled them. He nudged me then, with his elbow and I looked a him then nudged him back and I think that meant we were good.

I finally decide that I do want the last fortune cookie. I pull the jar closer and reach for the it, only to be stopped by Dean. 

"Why do you get to have it?" he asks, serious."I want it." 

I smirk at him and grab the cookie but he's fast and he gets a hold of the other end. I stare at him and he stares back, neither of us willing to back down.

"Share it?" He suggests in the end.

"We can share the cookie," I say, breaking the it with him, "But what about the fortune? We can't share a fate."

The fortune paper falls into Dean's palm. " 'Course we can." 

We both pop the cookie into our mouthes and chew as he unfolds the paper. "And they lived happily ever after." Dean reads the fortune out loud, "Huh. Where'd you find these things?"

And they lived happily ever after...

It's the one I had laughed at. The cheesy one that I included just as a joke. I figured no one would take our fortunes that seriously, anyway. But today, now, it's not amusing. Because now I'm thinking that if people can share kiss or a moment, or a fortune cookie, there was nothing stopping them from sharing a fate.

***

We meet up with Macey as we walk around the little mini fair arena. We had no class the whole day, which everyone seemed to appreciate. Most people spent the day on the lunch tables or sprawled on blankets on the lawn, bobbing their heads along to the weird French music, munching on snacks bought from the food booths or winning silly bright red prices from the game booths. 

The whole mini fair was meant to be a fund raiser, to pay the caterer and DJ for the dance and any of the other expenses we incurred. So far, Dean and I had made two hundred dollars from the fortune cookies alone. I'd found some mason jars in the art supplies room, and marked them with goals that we'd like to meet. It's only the middle day, and most jars were already past the half mark. I'm pretty sure that we had raised a lot of money.

When Dean stopped to talk with Gina, (when Gina tugged him to the side) I pulled Macey to the other side and whispered to her what had happened last night and how I need a word to describe how confused I am, because the actual word confused doesn't suffice.

After throughly freaking out, she says: "Madam Macey says I told you so." Macey makes her eyes go all mysterious, "The rest of my prediction will come true."

I can't help but giggle as I roll my eyes at her. "And what does Madam Macey say about your future?" I steal a subtle glance at Dean as I talk and feel a strange pang when I notice Gina's hand on his arm. I don't know why.

Macey doesn't notice where my gaze lies. She's too busy pretending to think about my question. "Madam Macey says my future is blurry. But there are some good looking guys in there and loads of mula." I laugh and shake my head as Dean joins us again.

"What's so funny?" He looks from Macey to me.

"Nothing." I say and start walking again.

Turns out, telling Macey that Dean and I kissed was the worst move of the century. She winks at me every time Dean touches me, which he does often, and smiles at the two of us like a mother watching her daughter and her son in law. I give her a look that says Quit it, but does that stop Macey Griffin?

No.

We finally make it to the last booth, right on the other side of the lawn. There are a few people around this side. A sign says KISSING BOOTH in large red letters and there we find a pretty short-haired girl with her hand under her chin and a jar full of dollar bills on the table. Max Fisher stands in front of her, clearly giving her a hard time.

"I want a refund." He's saying and when he sees Dean he tries to get him on his side. "I pay for a kiss and she kisses my cheek, what the hell?" Dean snorts and both Macey and I roll our eyes.

"I told him that we were only allowed to do cheek kisses." The girl explains with a sigh and runs her hand along the table, "But now he wants a refund. Look, no refunds." She points to the sign and for the first time I notice the tiny words No Refunds scrawled in black ink on the bottom.

"No one specified which cheek." And when no one laughs at his disgusting joke, Max looks at us with narrowed eyes. "My dad's a lawyer you know."

"Your dad's an employment lawyer." Dean says, "And anyway, it's my shift now." Dean raises his eyebrows at Max, who makes a face when it finally clicks what Dean was saying.

"Dude." Max backs away, "Who's side are you on?" Max shakes his head and walks away.

I'm secretly impressed by how Dean stood up his friend for a girl he doesn't even know, but I don't say anything when Macey and the girl, (who's name I learn is Lily) compliment him.

"So." Dean says afterward and gets behind the table. He shakes the money jar. "Anyone want a kiss?" He locks eyes with me.

And they lived happily ever after...