33

Dedicated this chapter to the person who found the hidden heart first. :) 

THIRTY THREE

Later in the evening, I'm sitting on the living room floor, painting my toe nails on newspaper. I chose a glossy shimmery gold, in contrast to the matte rose gold I have on my fingernails. I admit it, I don't know what I'm doing. But it's a distraction and that's what I really need now. My dad is back at home, watching TV, the blue light from the screen illuminated the small scar under his right eye, swollen and livid. He catches me staring.

"I should be getting ready, I know, I know." He grins. 

He and my mom are going to dinner later, even though she was giving him the silent treatment for the whole afternoon. Right now, she's upstairs getting ready, anyway. I should be getting ready too, but I don't even feel like going to the dance anymore. I figure if I do everything extra slowly, I can just miss it.

I wish. Ms Fitz would come and get me herself.

I shake my head at my dad. "Nope, not even that." I say, getting back to my toes, "I'm talking about this morning. About you and Mr Pinkette."

My dad makes a face then sighs, "Yeah, I figured." He says, changing the channel with the remote, "I forgive him, I'm not even going to press charges."

"Of course you shouldn't!" I say, "The two of you are being ridiculous, I mean, you hate each other just because you mow the lawn on different days? Seriously?"

"It's not just that." He mumbles. He reminds me of myself just sometime ago when I tried to justify my hate for Dean. And if we could get over it, Dean and I, so could they. "Someone has to be the bigger person and apologize." My dad blinks, feigning cluelessness. "I want it to be you. For Nina and me, at least."

He sighs and touches his mustache. "Your mother told me the same thing." He admits, "I'll go over there tomorrow morning."

"Good. I'm proud of you already." I smile at him, happy that all of that would be over. They'd be no more feud, Dean and I were going to be acquaintances for the rest of the school year, I was going to take the school bus and things would be normal. Heart wrenchingly normal.

He nods. Then, "Aren't you supposed to be going somewhere?"

This time, I'm the one who sighs. "Yup." I pack my things away, get up from the floor and head upstairs to get ready for the funeral of my heart.

***

My updo is suspiciously good-looking. I'm not complaining, it's just that it looks so good, I'm afraid something bad is going to happen. There are some pessimistic people in the world that don't believe a series of good things can happen to them. I think, tonight, I've turned into one of them. Maybe I'll stay that way for the whole year. Maybe my updo will be the biggest accomplishment of my life.

Ready? I startle when my phone vibrates and then freak out when I realize its Dean. My match. I hold my breath so I don't start hyperventilating. My hands are actually shaking as I type up as response and hit send.