34

THIRTY FOUR

Posting two chapters because I know you can't wait. 

And honestly, neither can I.

My mom snaps seven, no eight more photos in total. The memory of the flash makes it hard to see faces at first. My cheeks hurt from smiling so much and my ankles are killing me already. The places where Dean's hands were feel raw and exposed when he moves away. My body wants them back on my waist, rubbing tiny circles on my skin while both of us stood there and smiled at my mom like nothing was happening.

I already asked my dad to drop me off (the working of pre-dance nerves), so when he finally pulls into the driveway, I distance myself from my mom, Dean and Mrs Pinkette, who are looking at the photos we took. My dad pokes his head out the window. "Ready?"

When he says it, Dean looks up sharply and frowns a little. "I thought you were going with me." Then he drops his voice, " I have something to tell you."

I shake my head as an answer to his first statement and the shake my head again at his second. "Later, O.K?" I say, looking away. 

I honestly don't want to know. Not yet, anyway.

He sighs and runs his hand through his hair. "Yeah. O.K" He says softly.

My mom and Mrs Pinkette tell us to have a good time then head inside, still looking through the photos we took, smiling and laughing at each one. Nina emerges from the car and launches herself at Dean, who picks her up and twirls her. His sad face is erased, she makes him smile.

"Wow." She says to the both of us, when he sets her down. "Just wow. I wish I could come."

I laugh. "You'll have fun with Mrs Pinkette."

"Yeah, I know." Nina smiles, "But still." I don't miss the hint of jealousy on her face when she looks me up and down. "Gorgeous." She says, loud. Then she looks up at me. "Deans thinks so." She mouths. 

I blush. Even though its the evening, I'm afraid every one can see it.

Dean looks at me for so long, I conclude that he can. "Well, Poof, see you there?" It's his look when he says it, brown eyes focused, intense. It makes me nervous all over again.

"Hopefully."

Dean chuckles. "You better. If you don't, I'm going to come find you. Where ever you are."

"And I'll help." Nina volunteers. I make a face at both of them, but inside, I'm thrilled that he'd want to come get me, where ever. My dad toots and puts up five fingers. I don't need five minutes. I wobble over to the car and Dean to his. Nina follows me. 

"I almost forgot." She says, rummaging through her unicorn backpack. "Use this." Nina hands me a small clear container filled with a creamy pink mixture.