36

THIRTY SIX

Dean says the grass is wet and dewy and I believe him. I can't feel it myself because I'm in his arms as he carries me to the porch of my house. I couldn't possibly walk in those wretched heels again, so I left them in his car and agreed to let him carry me. This time, I am literally floating. 

The stars are bright and promising, the night is quiet and all I can hear is my heart.

My cheeks still hurt from smiling so much. My legs are tired from dancing. My skin is sensitive to the slightest touch. My lips know Dean's too well. I feel dizzy and feverish with excitement. I'm sick, obviously, but I've never felt better.

The porch steps are cool under my bare feet. They creak as I walk on them, and the sound is loud is comparison to the silence of our two houses. Dean doesn't follow me onto the porch but stays on the lawn. He leans against the porch banister and stares at me. I stare back, at his tie undone around his neck, at his hair ruffled and tousled by my fingers. I like it that way.

I feel like my old soul has been abducted by aliens because I don't see anything the same. Instead of a messed up lawn, I see new beginnings, brown earth where dark green blades of grass will shoot through. Instead of my egotistical and annoying neighbor, I see a confident boy with great hair. I see a smile that I could kill for, and eyes that I can stare into forever.

Yup. The old Val has definitely been abducted.

"Come here." Dean says and I lean over the balcony banister until are faces are so close its hard to look at him.

"You called?" I whisper. He presses his lips against my forehead.

"Goodnight Poof," He says. Right then, the truth is obvious. We definitely weren't enemies anymore. I smile at him when he moves away.

"Goodnight Dean." I say. He kisses me on my lips next, slowly and softly, with his hands cupped around my face like I was fragile. 

I am fragile. 

My body is glass, totally transparent, all of my emotions exposed for the world to see. For Dean to see. I kiss him back to make up for all the days and months and years that I didn't, for all the time that I hated him.

And then a second truth is obvious: we definitely weren't friends either.

***

I run upstairs and instead of going to my room, I go to Nina's. She's fast asleep but she's yelling. It's one of those reasons why I alway crept  to my parents room when we used to have our 'princess sleepovers' when we were younger. 

Nina was always mumbling and yelling in her sleep and I could barely get a good night's rest. In the morning, they'd carry me right back to my room where Nina was sleeping and she would never know better.

"Uh uh, Katy." She's saying, "I already gave you a dollar off, take it or leave it."

I snort and shake her up. "It worked!"

Nina sits up, looking dazed.

"The lipgloss!" I stage whisper, "It really worked."

"Oh yeah." She says, her voice groggy, "Dean told me that he was starting to have feelings for you and he wasn't sure if you felt the same. So I told him I'd give you a pot if lip balm and if you wore it it meant you for sure liked him."

"Oh." I laugh. "That plan would only have worked if he was going to kiss me."

"Well duh." Nina sleepily rolls her eyes and yawns, "That was the plan."

I laugh again. Then, "You could make lots of money off of these things." I say, pulling the covers right under her chin. I wait for her to respond, but Nina has already fallen fast asleep.

Chapters left: 1

Yay!