13

THIRTEEN

Feeling more angry than hurt, I grab my phone from my back jeans pocket and open the Double Tap app. The screen shows the little blue circle that's supposed to represent my match (it's blue because he's a male) and an even smaller red circle near the top of the blue one showing that I have a message from him.

I tap the screen a little harder that I should. The screen changes from red to white and the message pops up.

I feel like a ten today.

I don't feel like laughing. I type fast, pounding my fingers against the screen.

Who cares?! You probably look like a 2, and that's me being nice.

I feel pleased when it shows that he's read that message. If this was Cole, (and I still felt that unfortunately, there was a good chance it was) then I wanted him to know that I hated him, even if he didn't know it was me.

Not yet, anyway.

But I was already scheming something awful in my head for the night of the dance. I didn't exactly know what I was going to do, but I just knew that it was going to be awful.

My match types back. Ouch. What did I do?

You did everything wrong. Everything. Wrong.

He types back, fast. We've barely even spoken! I don't even know who you are! I don't know what you're talking about!
Think smart--.Smart--

I try to type ass but the app won't let me. I groan loudly and Macey, who's walking into my room with a bracelet on each wrist, backs away into the hallway. I ignore her and look back at my phone.

You can't just kiss every girl you want!

My match types quickly and sends three new messages.  

YOU'RE CRAZY. I haven't kissed anyone during the last two weeks, not even my mom!And you're the one who said that we're not going to fall in love so even if I did, BIG DEAL!!!

I'm not crazy. That's all I say. Because, yeah, O.K, I did say that. And my match is right. We weren't together. But I was operating only on my assumptions that it was Cole and I wanted him to know I was mad. But I guess it didn't make much sense if he didn't know it was me.

That's something a crazy person would say.

This time, I can't help it. I burst into laughter and Macey, who's just coming back into my room, looks at me as if I really am crazy. I don't feel as upset as I was before. Macey sits next to me on the floor and picks up the torn photo strip before I even have the chance to show her.

"Oh my God." She gasps. "Where is this from?" I look away from my phone and watch as she holds it closer to her face to get a better look. "I can't believe he would do that. He doesn't seem like that type."

"The type to go around kissing a different girl everyday?" I nod my head at Macey and shrug, "I thought he was shy and awkward."

"Guess not." Macey says. Then, "He's a jerk and you can do so much better."

I don't know why it's so comforting for a girl to hear a friend say these words, but I instantly feel a little better. I always feel better when Macey talks shit about a guy that I liked or was with. Macey leans close to me and looks at my phone. Then she looks me straight in the face.

"Valerie." She says, "No. Don't tell me you're harassing the poor guy you got matched with."

I look away from her, back at my phone. "I'm not harassing him. Not exactly." I say the last part softly. Was that really considered harassment?

"You don't know who it is! You can't just jump to conclusions."

I open my mouth to say something, but I don't. There's nothing I can say because Macey's right. I was jumping to conclusions. The guy I got matched with might not even know who Cole is, far less be Cole himself.

I sigh and start typing another message.
O.K. I'm sorry. Something happened, that's all.Btw, does your name start C? I hit send.

I just need to be sure. Of course, they were loads of guys at school who had names beginning with C, but I feel like I'll feel so much better if I had no doubt it wasn't Cole.

My match doesn't answer right away and I lean back and lie flat on the floor. I stare up at the ceiling and sigh.

Was the blond girl Cole's girlfriend? Or was she just his friend that kissed him, just like I did? I mean, we weren't together, that was a fact, but it doesn't erase the anger and the hurt that is there, even though I'm trying to suppress it.

Macey's still staring at the photo strip when my phone vibrates. And then a second time. And then a third. I pick it up, finally and open the messages, all from my match.

It's ok, just don't go psycho like that on me again. I thought we were starting to be friends. Then,Wait. Are you trying to figure out who I am??? Ha! I'll never tell you.But I promise my name doesn't start with C. ;)

I look at the screen feeling relived. 

That wink is making me nervous. Did you just send it to mess with me?

Maybe. ;) ;) ;)

I smile at my phone and close the app. My match seemed like a cool guy, and I was getting excited for the dance so I could finally meet him. Or do something awful... I mean if it really did happen to be Cole. I look at Macey and lower the photo strip away from her face.

"Let's forget about Cole." I say, even though it's going to be so, so hard. I mean, I have a class with him almost everyday of the week. 

I grin at her, "Cool bracelets. Where'd you get 'em?" I point to the colorful bracelets on both her wrists. Nina had some really great skills, getting Macey to buy two.

Macey smiles, then holds up her arms to admire the bracelets on her wrist, in red, yellow and green. "I know someone."

It's like Nina hears us all the way from her room. In seconds she's at my door with her shoe box and she and Macey finally convince me to buy one of the bracelets.