First Night

After my shower, I slip into a pair of pants and night shirt. As I pull my tank top over my head, there's a knock at the door. I take the stairs two at a time; they knock once more as I get to the bottom.

"Coming" I call out then swing the door open

Our eyes meet

"I must have the wrong house," he says looking down at a paper.

I cross my arms, and my eyes go to the toddler in his arms.

"You called yesterday about a babysitter?" It's a question.

He looks back at me.

"So, I don't have the wrong house."

"No, you don't."

"I'm a......."

"Jacob Kid I know who you are."

He licks his lips.

"Can we come in?" he asks.

I move out of the doorway letting them in; I smile at the little black headed girl in his arms.

As soon as the door shuts, he turns to me.

"First things first this doesn't go outside of this house."

"What's that, the fact that you are bring a little girl here for me to keep?" I ask.

"The fact that you will be watching my child and the fact that I even have a child. This is a part of my life I would like to keep out of school."

I turn away.

"You're so demanding."

"Will I have a good reason."

"Yes, your popularity is at stake."

"Can we get down to business now?" he asks

I turn to him.

"I think you read my terms, a hundred dollars a week that's all I ask."

"Alright, then my terms."

,"Your terms."

"Yes, she is my child."

"Right, please have a seat."

He sits down on the couch the little girl in his lap ready to get down and play.

"You can let her down it will be all right," I tell him as I set across from him

"Her name's Sabrina, she's two."

I smile looking at her.

"She looks like you."

"I work nights, because of school, I get off at ten so I will be here at ten-thirty or eleven to pick her up."

"Do I need to put her in bed."

"Yes, that will be fine" Finally he lets her down as she just starts to whine "She sleeps with this."

He hands me a doll.

"She calls it her binky."

I take it from him.

"I think I can handle that; I will get paid at the end of the week right."

"Yes, do you have any questions."

"Why are you bring her to me why not your folks."

"My parents think that I need to get my own life. That means taking full responsibility of Sabrina."

"Where's her mother."

He looks down, shaking his head.

"That's not your concern."