Pretending

The days and weeks that follow after the dance where interesting, Jacob and I hardly spoke to each other. He would bring Sabrina by my house, and we would exchange hellos and see you laters but beyond that, we didn't say anything. Our late night talks had stopped, I had stopped fixing him a meal when he got off work at night. He told me it was for the best that he didn't, and I agreed with him.

It was a Wednesday; I start toward the lunch room. Bea was already there; I had a phone call right after my class that I had to take. I head toward our table as I walk in, I was in a good mood.

"Guess what," I ask Bea

She looks up from the chair she sets in

"What"

"I got it."

She jumps up with a squeal

"You got it."

"Yup and we look like two crazy people right now."

She looks at the people around her

"I'm not crazy she is," she tells them

I shove her shoulders playfully

"Set down"

We both set down

"I can't believe you got it," Bea says with a smile

What is it your wondering, a black Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 1979 model with a big gold bird on the hood. I had found one online up for bids two mouths ago, and I just had to have it. I had saved up my money and bid on it as soon as I could.

"I know, I go this afternoon to get it."

"Want me to come with you."

"No, I'll be babysitting," I tell her

"Oh come on Andi it's not like I'm going take one look at the child you keep and say hey she belongs to so and so."

I laugh

"Alright, I have to ask him first."

"Goody, speaking of him how is that going for you."

"Great we say hey and I'll see you later every night that's it."

"You miss him" she leans up on the table

"He's there every day how am I suppose to miss him," I ask

"Come on; you know what I'm asking."

I bite my lip

"Yeah, in a way."

She shakes her head

"I can't believe you can put up with him after everything he's done to you."

"Bea he didn't do anything wrong," I tell her

"I saw and still see how it hurt you, to have to pretend not to know him."

"I'm fine."

"He's no better the Berry is if you ask me," Bea says looking away

"You can't compear him to Berry."

"Yeah, he is sweetie he hurt you, Berry beat you."

"Berry is a jackass that beat me and tried to rape me. He's nothing like that; he saved me two times from that asshole."

Bea's eyes grow as she looks behind her.

"You're not talking about me are you."

I snap my head around looking up at Berry