Chapter 12

A big herd of unharmonized bells woke us uall up in monotone unison. Most of us were acquiesce and just went with the flow but Helena and Jennifer started a fission. They started punching each other in the middle of the dorm, causing all of us baffled initiates to just stare at each other.

"HEY!" Four exclaims peacefully, "WE WILL DO ENOUGH OF THAT TODAY! TWO MINUTES!"

Four finally exits the gruesome scene around us. All of us quickly get ready as this skirmish begins to subside. All the morbid Dauntless initiates try and impress people by acting all tough and causing fissions. I think an impressive Dauntless initiate is one who actually cares about others. If they get into a skirmish, then make it up to the other person, and make them feel like they're okay.

I get dressed and rush to the advanced training room, ready to skip breakfast. I leave my hair down, to the the immense, never-ending pain from the fight I had yesterday.

I start punching vigorously at the punching bag, bruising my arms every two seconds, seeing these purpleish blue paintings on my arms, staying there for more than a day. The scent of my hair overwhelms me, because I'm not used to my hair being in my face. It's always been up. Always. Ever since I was a little girl with short hair. When I was a little girl, my hair was too short, so Marcus made me wear hair extensions, so I could blend in. In Abnegation, it was illegal to file a divorce. It was considered bad, or selfish.

I keep punching the bag, until I feel two things clutch my waist at the same time. I look behind me. I hit someone's face.

"Ouch!" Nathan shrieks.

I suddenly jump back and stop punching.

"Hey. Are you alright?" I ask calmly.

"Yea, I was just checking up on you," Nathan replies.

"Why? You're not my dad," I mutter, taking a step back.

"Please, just don't hurt yourself," Nathan mutters with concern

"INITIATES!" Uriah's voice roars over the noise of Nathan and I.

Nathan jumps back, then slips behind me. "Yes, Uriah?"

Nathan has a blank expression on his face. He looks afraid. Insecure. Nervous. Infuriated. And, most of all cowardly. I'm not exactly sure.

Nathan's not a coward. He's brave. He's very mysterious. Not Four mysterious, but like Uriah, mysterious. Uriah and Nathan, they're both hiding things. And it's really obvious. He's hiding something. Nathan's my best friend, and Uriah's my instructor. They're connected... Somehow. They're definitely not related, but I know that their secrets have to do with each other.

I stare at Uriah as Nathan slowly walks away. Then, he walks up to me and yanks me over to the side. "Kat, be careful."

"Nathan, what is wrong with you? You are definitely hiding something from all of us. I've been acting all acquiesce and going with it, but you've been acting more awkwardly every single day! Can't you see that I'm worried?!" I ask, placing my palms onto my head.

"My secret is worse than anything on the planet. It will KILL you. Understand?" he asks ferociously.

I nod in response. "Well, maybe that should be. Honestly, I don't want to die. But, what secret will kill you?"

He shakes his head. Well, no secret will kill him. No other secret than mine.

Divergent's the villain in my life. Being honest is like a tongue to bite down on, always making its way into society. I don't think I'll be discovered. I snap back into reality, slowly killing me, one step at a time.

Uriah glares at Nathan as he leaves the room, while Nathan glares at Uriah.

"He should be arrested for being creepy," he says as he walks towards me, "And don't beat yourself up too much. We're fighting today."

"They might not beat me up too bad," I joke.

"Don't trust anyone," Uriah mutters under his breath, exasperated by my ultimate helplessness, "Trust can kill you, like it killed me."

I nod, then shrug it off. Uriah nods then slowly walks away. I do a few push ups on the ground, keeping myself away from Uriah.

The other advanced initiates walk in, after they filled up on all different types of carbohydrates and caffeine. I stare blankly at Sage as he walks in and stands next to me.

"Hey, Erudite," I mutter under my breath.

"Hey, stiff," he teases just after I tease him, causing me to burst into laughter.

His instincts are quick as a cheetah sometimes, almost as quick as Four's. Sage and I have a silent punching competition, Sage beating me by a long shot.

Finally, after three or four minutes, I see Nathan sprinting in here, shoving me to the side. Uriah drags Nathan to the wall, and pins him by his neck. Nathan fights for defense, kicking Uriah where he shouldn't have, causing Uriah to wince. Uriah, as wise as he is, pins Nathan to the wall again.

"Don't you ever be late," he mutters under his breath, spitting at Nathan's face like a snobby rich girl.

Nathan was all bruised and beaten, like he just climbed up the chasm.

Uriah yanks Nathan into the hall by one arm, while Nathan just follows him. The other initiates are too busy punching their punching bags to be paying attention, except for Sage and one Dauntless born, who stared blankly at Nathan like me.

Sage, a Dauntless born, and I rush to the window. Four stands in front of us.

"Uriah drank a little too much whiskey last night," he mutters softly as he storms out of the room.

I run and grab a rope, whip myself, then go back to the punching bag and start punching until my hands turn blue, trying to act oblivious about what Uriah's doing to Nathan. Marlene yanks Uriah off of Nathan, pushing Nathan into the initiate room. Four pushed Uriah into the room.

"What's going on with you?" Four asks.

"I think he might be," Uriah mutters, "But I don't know for sure."

"FIGHT TIME!" Eric roars from across the training room, scaring and scarring me at the same time, making me think he's brave and he's a coward at the same time. His faith is still undecided.

I see a list of names from across the room.

1. Daniel and David
2. Nathan and Brad
3. Matt and Sage
4. Tom and Abel
5. Dave and Kat
6. Adam and Andrew

I feel nervous as I read the names. Dave was big and strong, had huge bulging muscles. He was the last jumper. I was the first. Nathan nods in my direction, signaling for me to come near him.

"What happened?" I whisper softly.

"None of you business," Nathan snickers, "I want to wish you good luck."

"You, too," I say wisely.

Daniel and David both crack their knuckles, and then they jump onto the podium. The fight has just begun.