Chapter 39

My eyes flutter open, dizzy like an up and running Ferris wheel; my vision becomes hazy, this gray haze covering the fear simulation room. The Knucklehead stands above me, his fat, muscular, scarred fingers briskly clicking on the computer's keyboard. I undo the cords from all over my body, feeling a slight shock. I fall to the ground with electric shock.

"Catherine!" Tobias exclaims, rushing towards me.

I jump up, my vision still somewhat hazy. There are two of everything. Two chairs, two Tobiases, two computers.

"You okay?" Tobias asks softly.

"Perfectly fine," I lie.

Tobias nods, seeming to believe me. I walk out of the fear simulation room, barely moving because of the dizziness of my vision, but I have to look okay. My vision starts to clear more and more for forty minutes, and then it's crystal clear. I see a mass walking towards the chasm from the hallway's window. I run towards it, hoping they don't jump. And that's when I see the cornrows.

"Nathan!" I yell.

He stands there at the chasm's edge, ignoring me. He is going to jump. He can't jump. He can't jump! He cannot jump! I grab him and pull him outside of the chasm ledge.

"Nathan?" I ask softly.

That's when he finally replies. "Yes?"

"Why are you trying to kill yourself?" I yell.

"I don't have any family, Kat. None. Nada. Nothing. Nobody cares." he mutters.

"You think only family can care? Only family can love? That's not true. I love you, and Matt cares for you, along with our other friends!" I yell, shocked by his suicide attempt.

His eyes are bright red, wide as possible, his scars showing. And then he breaks down, his tears creating a river beside the chasm. He drags me towards the train, sprinting as fast as possible, not letting anyone else see us. He carries me onto the train. As soon as we arrive in a train car, he places my body on the ground.

"What?" I ask, "Why?"

"It's nothing," Nathan says, brushing it off, his tears subsiding.

"What's going to make you happier?" I ask.

"You," he replies calmly.

I hug him. He gives me a peck on my forehead. Why can't I ever get him to open up? That asshole. But I love him. I'm in love with an asshole.