Chapter 35

The next morning...

Breakfast is just the same as normal, Abel forcing me in there and handing me a cart full of coffee, and Nathan needing someone to force him in there as well. Eating our bagels as monotonously as possible, barely eating one bite.

"Kat," Abel says.

"Yea?" I ask sassily.

"More coffee?" Abel offers.

"Actually, for once, I'll take you up on that offer," I mutter softly, stealing a big jug of coffee.

"Ah, nice coffee times," Abel said.

There was a coffee club in high school.

"Did you create the coffee club?" I ask.

Abel laughs, pushing his spiky hair with his left, tatted, palm. "I remember that.
And who else would've created the coffee club?"

Abel's jokes never grow old.

The fear simulation room...

I sit alongside my boyfriend, his best friend, Matt, and my other best friend, Jo.

"You nervous?" Matt asks us.

"Why would I be?" Jo jokes, "We all know I'm the queen of Dauntless. Bow down, you futile peasants!"

"Seriously, Jo, are you?" Matt asks.

"Nah, it's cool," Jo says calmly.

It's surprising how different everyone is acting. Abel and Jo are less crazy, I accept a cart of coffee, and Matt is actually being sincere about something other than Nathan's psychiatric health. Then, there's my boyfriend. His hands start to play with mine underneath the chairs, keeping our relationship subtle, unlike Helena and Brad, making out in the chairs across from us. Brad and Helena beat the crud out of Nathan in stage one.

Nathan's pearly white teeth decides to come out of their inner shells and Nathan smiles at me. I wink at him, and we both laugh. A sudden clear of a throat fills the room. All of us stare at my brother, everybody, including myself, is terrified of Tobias, walking on eggshells around him!

"May the odds be ever in your favor," Uriah mutters, mocking Effie Trinket.

"Peeta Mellark!" Uriah says, gesturing at Tobias, gestures to Tris and says, "And Katniss Everdeen!"

The initiates clap. Christina rolls her eyes. "Where's my wine?" she jokes, trying to act like Haymitch, "Katniss, sweetie, you're an awful person."

The entire population of the remaining Dauntless initiates, including me, laugh uncontrollably for the next few minutes.

"Now go, Peeta and Katniss, and die for our entertainment!" Uriah says, really taking a jab at Effie.

I'm laughing so hard, I feel my chest coming out of my body!

5 hours later....

"Kat!" Tobias yells, gesturing me to come into the fear simulation room.

I'm last, like always. He plays with my hair and sticks the cool serum into my vein.