Chapter 41

The next morning...

My eyes flutter open, seeing the snowflakes hugging the blanket of snow on the ground from the window. Are you kidding?! It's actually starting to snow. It's never snowed around the city for an incredibly long time. Reports of the weather stopped about 60 years ago. I run out of the girls' dorm in my warm clothes and sprint towards the chasm. When I'm sprinting, the ice is super slippery. I feel myself losing balance, enough to where I'm going to fall. My body plummets onto the ground, which had been turned into ice.

I see a dark-skinned hand. I take it. The hand pulls me up. The hand's owner is no other than Nathan. I smile.

"Nathan," I mutter.

"Hey, Kat. Did you miss me?" my boyfriend asks, smirking.

I laugh. "You're such a charmer."

I feel myself slipping again. Nathan holds onto my back and pulls me up. "Want me to teach you something?" he asks.

"Sure," I reply, trying to hide my divergence.

"Let's go ice skating," Nathan announces with that devious smirk on his face.

I know he's going to get us into big trouble, but I nod anyway. "Sure. What's first?"

Nathan lets go of me, leans forward and creates a v shape with his feet. He moves his left foot forward first, somehow that propels him forward. He does the same with his right foot. After that, it became an ongoing cycle. I follow his lead. I fall the first time. Nathan offers to help me up.

"Nah, your ego is soaring," I say to Nathan sassily.

"You can't get up " Nathan says confidently as I stare into the early morning dark sky.

"Don't underestimate me," I reply, getting up on my feet.

Nathan laughs at me. "Competitive now, aren't you?" he taunts. Stupid Dauntless. "Try it."

I glide on my feet in my dark black combat boots, the ice cleaning any of the red blood stains that have previously been tattooed. I lean forward, stopping my body's course of movement. Nathan glides towards me.

"Care to dance?" he asks.

"I can't dance," I reply.

"Come on, stiff," Nathan teases.

"Don't call me that," I say firmly.

"Do it!" Nathan yells at me like a crazy person.

I nod in acquiescence. Nathan extends his hand. I grasp it in my hand. He dances on the ice, teaching me a few fancy dances. Then I try. I feel myself gliding flawlessly, then my body plummets to the ground. Urgh!

"Nathan!" I yell, looking at him, who's eyes blend in with the early morning sky.

He stares at me. I hop up to my feel, standing firmly on the ice. He tries dancing with me again and it starts out with Nathan, flawlessly dancing in his combat boots. I keep wobbling, but I dance anyway. After about an hour, I'm dancing well too! I wrap my arms around Nathan's neck, and he wraps his arms around my waist. He takes me to a certain place. I look up in confusion, my hair flying in Nathan's face. I see a the small mistletoe. I laugh at my boyfriend's cliche moment.

I kiss him, and he kisses me back. Our lips move coincide, and sparks fly through me. I release first.

"I love you, Nathan," I whisper softly.

"I love you too, Catherine," he whispers inside my ear.

I laugh. Only he, Tris, and Tobias knew my real name. Then, the training bells ring and we rush to breakfast, never speaking of what happened again.