Chapter 33

My eyes flutter open back in the fear simulation chair. I hear the clicking of the computer keyboard made by the skinny, long, and witch-like fingers or Tris. Tris instantly stops typing, as soon as I hear my piercing screams made by me around Marcus. Tris's breath pattern suddenly becomes more staccato, the longer I sit in the chair. The acrid fumes of the monotone room start to suddenly fill my nose.

"Are you Catherine Eaton?" Tris asks, in absolute shock.

"Yes...?" I reply bleakly, trying to convince her the conversation was nothing but futile.

Tris walks over to my seat. "Want me to get Tobias for you?" she asks kindly.

Tobias is here? I thought Marcus killed him while he was smoking his normal pot of weed. I know Marcus lies a lot, but I never knew he lied to me about killing Tobias.

......

"Catherine, Tobias is dead," Marcus says.

My head falls into my hands, My hands trying to absorb my tears, but we all know they're failing to do so..

......

"Don't go crying for your brother ever again. He's D-E-A-D. I killed him!" Marcus yells greedily.

I try not to cry. i wipe the edge of my nail against the lower line of my eye, just softly enough for me to wipe my tears and not scratch myself at the same time. First Mom, then Tobias?! My face of sadness slowly turns bright read, my eyebrows flaring, and my eyes concentrated on one thing; that thing is most definitely Marcus. Marcus Eaton is a murderer. I slowly walk upstairs to my bedroom, leaving Marcus's eyesight just before I explode. Then, i start to briskly walk to my bedroom. As soon as I arrive, I listen to my competing thoughts, slamming my body against the bedroom door helplessly. My body plummets to the ground just as soon as I hold my head in my hands.

......

Marcus stands at the funeral, smoking weed, instead of being serious about the grieving of mom. Marcus has always smoked weed, from what I recall. Tobias is weeping in the other room as I spy on Marcus. Maybe Tobias is Marcus's next target? Hopefully not.

......

I hear a loud bang. I instantly jump out of bed before my eyes even awaken. Once my eyes catch up with my body, I wear a mask and run over towards the noise. The noise of Marcus snoring is nonexistent. I walk nervously up to his room to check on him. I check the clock on the wall. 2:00 in the morning?! Nobody should be awake, not even Marcus. I see Marcus's door wide open and I hide behind the nearest pillar. My head peeks into his room. All the lights are on and there is nobody in there. I secure my mask as I run to Tobias's room to grab one of his dark grey jackets. I slowly open the window of Tobias's room. The expired blood from our horrific beatings still remain in the crevice where the glass window ties the knot with the windowsill. I slowly climb out of the window, using my small frame to my advantage. Each step terrifies me, like I'm having an anxiety attack for every step I take. My moderate sweating suddenly turns severe, even though the cool, winter air is floating around me.

My icy cold feet brush against the hard pebbles of my Abnegation front yard. I slowly walk over towards the gunshots. Marcus sprints at full speed with his friends, pistols in their hands. In panic, I start to sprint towards the nearest train stop. I run to the Dauntless train and grab the nearest handle, the iron rods rusting onto my skin. After a good five seconds, I am able to rest peacefully in the train. Isolated by choice I stand, ready to shock people once they see my face. My body slams against the back of the train car with exhaustion, the rust now filling Tobias's jacket. I look out the window the entire time, creepily stalking Marcus and his friends as they take the bus. The lightning speed of the train makes my dark brown hair fly in the wind, making me tuck it under Tobias's winter hoodie. When I arrive near the wall, I see Marcus and his friends laughing. Marcus holds his pistol to an innocent amity. Bang! She's dead. Marcus's evil laugh fills my ears. My brain is filled with panic, not knowing what to do. Marcus shoots at the wall, for longer, the the train races back to Abnegation, preventing me from seeing anymore. I arrive at Abnegation before Marcus, jumping off the train and sprinting back home against the ice cold pebbles of Abnegation. I climb back the window into my house. I hide Tobias's clothes, close the window, and hide the evidence. Then, I run back to my room. Marcus killed Tobias. Marcus killed Mom. My body slams across my bed helplessly in sudden panic, not knowing how to deal with the pain.

......

"Hello?" Tris asks, "Is there anybody in there?"

I scream, scared from her voice.

"Want me to get Tobias for you?" she asks.

I don't know what to say. "Yes, please."

I see the one man I would never expect to see walk into the room: FOUR. He watches the fear simulation. His face freezes once he sees Tobias transform into Marcus. After that, he sees Marcus beating me.

"Catherine?" Four asks, concerned.

"KNUCKLEHEAD?!"

Four and Tris share a good laugh.

"Are you Tobias or is this a dream?" I ask.

FOUR CANNOT BE TOBIAS. THAT IS PHYSICALLY INHUMANE.

"This isn't a dream, Catherine, it's me," Four says softly.

I NEVER EXPECTED THAT.

"Sorry," I mutter.

"For what?" Tobias asks.

"But being my older brother doesn't make you any less of a knucklehead." I tease.

Tobias laughs, scratching his beard.

"You being my little sister doesn't make you any less of an anorexic," Tobias says.

I laugh as well.

"If Tobias is alive who's corpse was that who Marcus took pride in killing, saying it was his son, smoking weed?" I think out loud.

"Catherine, sorry you had to go through that. Marcus did not smoke weed, did he?" Tobias asks sympathetically.

I nod calmly. Tobias is alive and so is Mom.

Tobias looks into my eyes. "Why are you afraid of me?"

"You look like Marcus's father," I mutter softly.

Tobias glares at me. "Sorry I left, Catherine. I'm sorry Marcus took it out on you."

He's returned to his over-protective self.

"Tobias, it wasn't your fault," I mutter truthfully.

I walk up to him. I hug him. "I missed you so much."