Chapter 5

comment and vote <3

Soundtrack

Ex's and Oh's - Elle King
One two three
They gonna run back to me
Climbin' over mountains
And a-sailin' over seas

Heartbreak Warfare - John Mayer
Drop his name
Push it in and twist the knife again
Watch my face
As I pretend to feel no pain, no pain

***

I quickly strip out of my top and mini skirt, folding them neatly, and placing them, along with my flats, into my gym locker.

Then I shimmy into my pale pink shorts, which contrast nicely with my tan legs, and pull on a grey tank. After tying my hair back into a ponytail and slipping on my gym shoes, I head out to the track, which winds around the football field.

Halfway there, I run into Jace, all decked out in his active wear.

"Are you sure you're okay. No one would blame you if you sat out," he asks, raising a curious eyebrow.

"I'm fine," I say, shrugging. "I know what I can handle."

He doesn't press the issue, and by this point we've made it to the track, where the rest of our class is gathering.

I notice his gaze drifting, and when I follow it, I see Trinity laughing with Ginger, an acquaintance who I've found is a good spotter when we do weightlifting and certain other anaerobic exercises.

"Just go talk to her," I urge, nudging his back.

He jumps at the realization that he's been caught staring, quickly averting his gaze and playing it off as if it were nothing.

"What? Who? I was just-"

"Jace, calm down," I chuckle, nudging his side. "I think it's cute. And I think you should go talk to her."

"No, I don't want to interrupt her, and-"

"Ginger is coming over here," I note, smiling at the redhead as she starts to walk towards me. "I suggest you go over there, and talk to Trinity. She's sweet, and she's sane, and she's single. Go."

After a moment of hesitation, he fakes a calm expression and heads over towards her. I smile at his antics, before turning my attention to Ginger, who has made her way to me.

"Have you seen the new kid yet?" Ginger asks, wasting no time at all.

I lift my gaze, quickly scanning the class for a new face.

"No- where is she?"

"He," she corrects, trailing her eyes over to where our coach is speaking to someone, his face just out of sight. "And he is yummy."

I smile, craning my head to make out his face. When I spot the familiar blue eyes and blonde hair, my gaze falters, and I turn back to Ginger.

"Tyler," I mumble under my breath.

"What? You know him?" she asks, raising an eyebrow. "Oh, please say you know him. And then introduce me."

"I don't know him," I say. "But I met him yesterday at Café Rosada. I served him, that's it."

"You're working at Café Rosada now?"

"Yeah. Yesterday was my first day."

She looks over my shoulder, before flashing me a broad smile and saying, "Don't look now, but Tyler is looking at you."