Chapter 15

comment and vote <3

Soundtrack

Universe and You - KT Tunstall
You know there's no need to hide away
You know I tell the truth
We are just the same

Stay - Rihanna
I threw my hands in the air,
Said, "Show me something"
He said, "If you dare
Come a little closer"

***

Fifty two degrees.

It's not even December yet, and for some god forsaken reason it is fifty two degrees, an uncharacteristic low in Santa Barbara.

I shiver in my denim jacket, tugging the zipper up to my neck. The coat itself was a steal I spotted in a consignment shop last month when I went shopping with Trinity and Tilly. I've been trying to stay true to the sentiment of 'dressing for me,' and as such, have been experimenting with all sorts of interesting clothing. This jacket, with an asymmetrical zipper and a button collar has become one of my favorites to wear to the barn on the increasingly chilly November mornings.

Most of the horses are already turned out in the paddock when I arrive, and I spot Hercules bouncing around in an attempt to get Bambi to play with him. The sight brings a grin to my face.

"Morning, Grace!"

I turn towards the voice, which turns out to be Marilyn working Lavender in the round ring.

"Good Morning!" I call back.

I head to Alice's stall, where she's standing pretty in her baby blue blanket. Last night, the temperatures dropped to almost 30 degrees, and we blanketed all of the horses after dinner. It was quite adorable to see them all decked out in their multicolored gear. Nero looked particularly majestic, as his black blanket brought out the grey in his wonderfully curly mane.

I swear, that horse is fit for a Greek god.

"Morning, Alley Cat," I soothe, scratching the mare behind the ears. "Will you let me put on a saddle today?"

I've tried three times now, and though she's fine when I place the saddle pad on, she bolts as soon as she spots the saddle. I'm not sure where her fear stems from. From what I understand, she was pretty bombproof during her show jumping days.

I lead Alice out of her stall, clipping her into the crossties before removing her blanket. She snorts in protest.

"Aw, baby," I chuckle, patting her side. "Are you cold, too?"

I begin to run the curry comb over her, chatting to her about m week as if she's going to respond. Talking to the mare has become my guilty pleasure, and many jokes have been made about it at my expense.

"You going to saddle her today??

I turn and glance over my shoulder to see Tyler entering the barn, one of the barn cats in his arms. He sets her down on a tack box and slowly approaches Alice.

"I'm gonna try to," I say, running a comb through her mane. Seeing that it's tangle-free, I begin to absentmindedly throw a loose running braid into her long locks. "I don't know if she'll let me."

"Don't worry, if anyone can convince that mare to take a saddle, its you."

"And why would you say that?"

He flashes me a killer grin. "Because you're the only one more hard headed than she is."

I scoff, tossing a hoof pick at his chest in protest.