Chapter 6

comment and vote <3

Soundtrack

Hands to Myself - Selena Gomez
So come on, give me a taste
Of what it's like to be next to you

***

"You're staring again," Ginger whispers, nudging me lightly so that I jump in my seat, my gaze quickly falling to the floor.

"Am not," I reply, a blush creeping to my cheeks. "I'm just very into this lecture."

I try to focus on our Sociology teacher, but my gaze quickly finds its way back to Tyler, whose sitting near the front of the room, and I can't quite figure out why.

He's been here nearly two weeks now, and though we've only spoke a handful of times, I can't seem to focus when I'm in the same room as him.

"Likely story," Ginger teases.

I lightly shake my hair out, letting out an exasperated sigh.

"I don't know what's wrong with me," I admit reluctantly, jotting down the notes that cover the board.

"My dear, it appears you're experiencing a crush," Ginger whispers, a false air of sophistication to her teasing voice.

"Ms. White and Ms. Adams- is there something you'd like to share with the class, or do you just take joy in disrupting my lectures," Mrs. Quelling asks, no hint of amusement in her voice.

We both mumble our apologies, and she continues with her lecture, but not before shooting us a killer glare.

Once her attention is back on the board, Ginger leans in and whispers, "But you were totally staring."

"Whatever," I retort, absentmindedly nibbling the butt of my pencil.

When the bell rings twenty minutes later, we're both quick to leave the class. I tell Ginger I need to run to my locker before lunch, to drop off my textbooks, with the promise to stop by her table later.

I head down the staircase, and make my way to my locker, quickly twisting in my combination before transferring my textbooks out with my latest novel before turning to head to the library.

Unfortunately, I don't make it that far.

I run into Jace, a muffled 'oof' involuntarily escaping my lips. He places his hands on my shoulder to steady me.

"You okay?" he asks.

"I'm fine."

"Coming to lunch?"

"So that you can berate me about going to homecoming this Saturday?" I ask, winking. "Don't think I didn't pick up on that. I'm pretty wise, you know."

A lazy grin appears on his face, and he quirks an eyebrow.

"It's not happening," I say emphatically, before he can press the issue.

"It could be fun. Besides, it's your senior year. Live a little," he says, nudging my shoulder.

"Please, a bunch of drunk teenagers grinding on each other to crappy pop music? No thank you," I respond, rolling my eyes. "Besides, I'm working that night anyways."

"Why do I feel like that was intentional?"

"Because you're a very smart boy," I reply, my voice teasing. "But just because I'm going doesn't mean you shouldn't. Or better yet, why don't you ask out Trinity? She still doesn't have a date, you know."

He snorts. "She's way out of my league."

I lightly punch him in the shoulder, scowling at him.

"Don't start that shit with me, Jace. Any girl would be lucky to have you," I say, my voice dead serious. "Besides, she's the first girl you've been interested since- well, since Chey."

"Now, that's not true," he teases. "Remember that time we got hammered and-"

"Alright, funny guy," I laugh, quickly cutting him off. "We're still pretending that never happened. What happens at a funeral, stays at a funeral."

"Well it wasn't technically at the funeral..."

"We are not getting into this right now!"

"Admit I was a good kisser."

"Never in your wildest dreams."

"Come on, Grace," he whines. "I need an ego boost if I'm going to ask out Trinity."

I spin around in front of him, sticking my pointed finger in his face.

"If I admit you were a good kisser, you'll ask Trinity to homecoming?"

"Scouts honor," he says, feigning seriousness.

"Fine, Jace, you were a good kisser," I chuckle. Before he has time to gloat, I wave to someone just over his shoulder.

"Hey, Trinity," I greet with exaggerated enthusiasm. "We were just talking about you! Jace actually wanted to talk to you!"

She walks over with a smile on her face, while Jace is wearing an expression of horror.

"I'll leave you kids to it," I tease. "I'm off to the library."

I lean in towards Jace and whisper, "You should have just let me read my book in peace."

I wink at him before turning and heading down the hallway, leaving Jace and Trinity standing awkwardly in my wake.

XOXO