Chapter 20

comment and vote <3

Soundtrack

Mercy - Shawn Mendes
You've got a hold of me
Don't even know your power
I stand a hundred feet
But I fall when I'm around you

How We Love - Ingrid Michaelson
We hate the rain when it fills up our shoes
But how we love when it washes our cars
And we love to love when it fills up the room
But when it leaves, oh, we're cursing the stars

***

"Alright girl, you can walk."

After a grueling ride in the arena, Alice is happy for the chance to cool down. I lean down, patting her encouragingly on the neck.

"You're doing so well today, Alley-Cat," I praise, grinning as her ears follow the sound of my voice.

I allow my mind to wander as we walk the perimeter of the arena, anxious with thoughts of Tyler.

It's been a few days, and I still haven't been able to work up the courage to tell him some asshole has been beating on his little sister. I know that it will break him, and not just because Tilly's been silently suffering through this ordeal.

He's going to blame himself for this- he's similar to Tilly that way.

Thoughts of the pair are sent from my mind when Alice snorts, ears pointing forwards as she zones in on something. At first, I can't tell what exactly she's looking at.

In fact, it isn't until she's picked up into a canter (despite my protests) that I see what she's bounding towards- an oxer.

A relatively tall oxer that Tilly and Amethyst practice on.

And she's about to go over it, carrying me along with her.

Never having jumped before and unsure of what to do, I grab her mane and hold on for dear life as she launches herself into midair.

The jump is messy. Crazy. Unplanned.

But I'm laughing the entire time, exhilarated.

Laughing, even as I tumble over her shoulder upon making contact with the ground again, landing flat on my ass in the dirt.

"Grace!"

Glancing over my shoulder as I stand to my feet, I see Tyler just as he clears the fence, concern apparent on his face.

"Did you see that?" I squeal, bounding towards him.

"Yeah, are you okay?"

"No, not me falling- Alice! Jumping!" I chime, launching myself into his arms in my excitement.

His arms go around my waist for support, using my momentum to spin me around.

When we come to a stop, his face is so close to mine that I can feel his shaky breath tickle the bridge of my nose. His eyes flicker up to meet mine, his Adam's apple bobbing in his throat.

I break away first after a moment, turning to fetch Alice.

"You're sure you're okay?" he asks, trailing behind me.

"Oh yeah," I reply, scratching the mare's cheek fondly. "Just some bruising, I'm sure."

I pull Alice's reins over her head and begin to lead her out of the arena.

"I think I'm going to give her a bath," I say, glancing at Tyler. "Care to join?"

He quirks an eyebrow, "You want to bathe me, too?"