Chapter 21

comment and vote <3

Soundtrack

Rise Up - Andra Day
And we'll rise up
Rise like the waves
We'll rise up
In spite of the ache
We'll rise up
And we'll do it a thousand times again

Perfect - Ed Sheeran
We are still kids
But we're so in love
Fighting against all odds
I know we'll be all right this time

***

"Zip me?" I ask, turning my back to Tilly.

I asked her to help me get ready for the Winter Formal tonight, partly because I'm still worried about her, but also because I'm hoping I can convince her to come with us. She bought her dress nearly a month ago and had every intention of attending up until she broke it off with Carl about a week ago.

Besides, it's easier for everyone if we use Tyler's house as a home base since it's closest to the school.

"No problem," she replies, quickly pulling the zipper all the way up my back.

I spin around to face her, allowing the ends of my dress to fan out with the movement.

"How do I look?"

She quickly scans my appearance before offering me a smile.

"Gorgeous," she decides. "Tyler's eyes are gonna fall out of his head."

"Whatever, girl," I laugh, rolling my eyes at her antics.

After a quick once over in the mirror to check for smudges in my makeup or stray hairs, I turn to Tilly with a more serious look on my face.

Reading my expression, she shakes her head. "Grace, please don't."

"I'm sorry, I just have to ask," I start. "Are you sure you don't want to come? I promise it will be fun."

"I'm sure it will," she responds. "But I'd rather stay home and binge watch Friends reruns in my pajamas or take Amethyst out. Besides, I'd be the only one there without a date."

I sigh, offering her a sad smile. "I'm sure that's not true."

"Grace, you don't have to feel sorry for me," she assures, placing a hand on my arm. "Seriously. I have two more years at this school."

"But your dress-"

"Will still be there next year," she says, putting the issue to rest. "Don't worry about me. Just go and have fun."

Then, as an afterthought, she adds, "But keep it PG."

"Tilly!"

"I'm serious! Tyler's my brother, so nothing gross," she warns jokingly.

I roll my eyes at her just as Trinity bursts into the room, garment bag flung over her arm.

"Grace! You look amazing!" she gushes, before sparing a glance at Tilly. "Are you sure you don't want to go."

"I'm sure," she says definitively, and Trinity doesn't press the issue like I did.

We keep Trinity company as she gets ready, and by the end of it all she's decked out in a wine red gown with a slit that reaches about mid-thigh, her hair falling in soft curls over her shoulders.

"Damn, you look hot!" I state bluntly, earning me a giggle from Tilly.

"I second that."

We all turn to see Jace standing in the doorway, grinning widely at Trinity.