Chapter 12: Sweet Dreams, or a Beautiful Nightmare?

Chapter Song: Sweet Dreams by Emily Browning

We got downstairs and Hunter lead me to the pearl white Bentley parked on the roadside. He walked me over the the passenger's seat and opens the door for me like a gentleman. I ducked my head and picked up the bottom of my dress and sat in the beige colored leather seats. He walked around the car to the driver's seat while I wiggled in my seat and got comfortable. He got in and started the engine.

"If you're cold, the chairs can hear up," he said pointing the a button under my window whilst maneuvering out of the parallel-parked spot between two other parked cars.

I nodded and pressed the button. The car ride was quiet but not a comfortable silence.

We reached the restaurant: Pierre Gagnaire. Hunter snaked his arm around my waist and led me through the glass doors and into the kid beautiful restaurant I'd ever been in. Crystal chandeliers hung from the domed ceilings and glistened exquisitely.

We were ushered to. Small booth with red, velvet cushions and candles in the middle of the round table. The waiter gave us menus after we sat down.

"I'll be back in a few minutes to take your orders," he said before walking off and attending the table beside ours.

"So.. what's this all for," I asked, smiling above my menus. 

"Just thought I should spoil my baby girl," he said looking up from his menu and smirking.

The pet name kind of annoyed me, but I brushed it off thinking of how sweet he was for planning all of this.

We skimmed over the dinner menu for a few minutes before our server, Johnathon, came back.

He smiled down at us, "So, have we made up our minds?"

"Yes," Hunter began, "I'll have the steak special and the lady will have the Salade Niçoise. And we'll have a bottle of your best red wine," he said smoothly, then shut his menu.

Well, alrighty then, I thought, just cause I'm a girl, doesn't mean I wouldn't go for a steak too. I tried to shake it off, but I couldn't suppress the feeling of frustration at hunter.

"Alright," Johnathon wrote on his small notepad then looked down at us once again, "you're be out shortly and I'll send someone over with our five star wine," he said while gathering both our menus.

Johnathon came around to me, took the napkin that was perfectly folded on the small round plate in front of me and gingerly set it upon my lap. He went around to hunter's side and did the same for him.

We talked for a while until our food came and began to eat. I tried to enjoy my salad, but there was an underlying annoyance that hung over me like a pendulum, swinging back and forth persistently.

After our meal was over, Hunter got up from his chair and came over to me, took my hand and pulled the chair out so I could get up. We walked out the doors of the restaurant and out into the cool night's breeze.

"Here,take my jacket," Hunter said, slipping off his tux jacket and covering my shoulders. Ah, warmth at long last. I was freezing in the restaurant,but didn't want to say anything.   

We walked to a nearby park and walked on the walkway between the open sky and ocean to the left and cherry blossom trees lining the right side. Hunter intertwined our fingers and light butterflies fluttered in my stomach, but it wasn't what I had expected it to feel like.

We continued walking along the walkway until we reached a bench and sat down.

"The truth is," Hunter began, "I wanted to bring you here because I wanted to give you something." Hunter pulled out a small rectangular box from his pant pocket. I froze suddenly, shocked and unable to process what the hell was happening.

Oh, shit! I'm not ready for that yet. Please don't be what I'm thinking!

Hunter saw my sudden tenseness and laughed.

"It's not what you think, babe," he said before opening the velvet box.

He opened the box and I saw a beautiful silver necklace with silver double-ring on it.

Oh, how sweet

Oh, how sweet... my first ring on a string...... can you sense the sarcasm.

Well at least it wasn't a ring. I'd be a lot happier with this than an actual ring.

I tried to smile as best as I could so I wouldn't hurt his feelings.

"Hunter, it's beautiful."

Hunter unclasped the lock on the necklace and I held my hair to the side as he snaked his hands around my neck and clasped it back shut. As he pulled away, he gave me a kiss on the cheek, then pulled away and smiled at me.

"You're my girl, right," he asked me, brushing his hand across my cheek.

"Yeah," I said, slightly uncomfortable now.

"I want to hear you say it," he said, taking my hand in his and rubbing his thumb in circles over mine.

I was apprehensive, but I decided to say it and get it over with.

"I'm your girl.

I didn't particularly like the way it fell off of my lips, but I didn't feel like I had any other choice but to say it. In truth, Hunter scared me, but then he was sweet and charming. He made my thoughts spin in circles, and not always in a good way.