nineteen

josh's pov

i drop liberty's letter onto the table and place my head in my hands, how could i be so stupid?

i knew she wasn't happy, i could tell something was bugging her-

my thoughts are interrupted by tyler barging through my front door, as he steps inside he wipes the thin layer of sweat from his forehead. he must have just run up the long flight of stairs to my apartment.

"lib-liberty, where is she?" tyler pants.

"gone." i reply nonchalantly, gesturing towards her letter.

tyler picks it up and quickly skim-reads it, before folding it up and placing it in the pocket of his hoodie.

"you can't just sit there josh." tyler speaks, "we have to find her- i mean she can't have gone far."

"maybe she doesn't want to be found." i shrug.

i feel used; like gum on her shoe. i tried my best to make her feel welcome during the week that she and tyler stayed and even though she seemed grateful in her letter if she really was, she wouldn't have left like this.

"fine." i hear tyler begin, snapping me out of my daydream. "i'm going to find our friend and i won't stop until i do. do you know how much she means to me josh? she could be anywhere but i will find her. because i love her. i'm in love with her. she's the tear in my heart and as clingy as it is i can't be apart from her for long. liberty is the only light in my life at the moment; if you love her as much as i do, then you'd come with me."

a wave of guilt runs through me, so, without another word i pick up my keys and a jacket, along with the money liberty left me, and lead tyler out of my apartment.

"i'm sorry, of course i'll help you find her." i say, apologetically.

with that, tyler and i begin our journey to liberty, she is free in her wildness, she's a wanderess, a drop of free water. she belongs to no city and to no man.

author's note

let's all appreciate the roman payne quote that i just put in. i love his book 'the wanderess' so much.

also i have a new tyler fic called 'taken by sleep', if you wanna check it out then that would be awesoooome.

i hope you enjoyed! we're so close to 1k i'm so excited; thank you so much for reading!! <33 |-/