Chapter 6: Broken

"Max! Wait!" I shouted as my friend ran out the door. The look on her face still haunting me. Everyone turned to me, their eyes full of disgust.

I ignored them and chased after her. Running out into the parking lot of the school, I remembered the first time I had met her.

"Watch where you're walking bitch!" A fourteen year old boy shoved me back harshly. I fell onto my stomach, tears rolling down my face.
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." I whimpered, covering my face.
"Stupid, you almost made me drop my phone!" He said, his back leg pulling back for a kick.
"Hey!" A loud obnoxious voice rang out across the road. I looked up.
A young girl about the same age as me approached the older boy and his friends without fear.
Her brown hair was cut short, like a guy's. She had green eyes and wore plain black clothes.
"Get lost kid!" The boy said threateningly.
She stood her ground, "No."
He stepped towards her, "What did you just say?"
"I said no." She said.
"Why you little-"
He froze. The girl held a gun up to his face. "You get lost." Her eyes were dark and serious.
"I-okay man. I'm cool. I'll go." He stumbled back and ran down the road, his friends following close behind.
The girl looked down at me, "You okay?"
"Y-yeah." I stammered, staring at the gun. The girl followed my gaze, and smirked.
"Don't worry it's fake. It's only a squirt gun." She said, pulling the trigger. A small stream of water shot out of it.
I blinked, "Who are you?"
"I'm Max. And you owe me a chocolate bar."

I smiled, wondering what exactly brought that old memory up. Then I saw her.

Max sat with her head down and her back against a lamppost. I walked forward slowly, "Max?"

"Don't touch me." She said, her head still lowered.

"Max it's not your fault. I saw it in your eyes, that wasn't you."

"Go away."

"I'm not leaving you."

"She wants to kill you."

I stop. Goosebumps ran up my arms. Max looked up, her eyes were distant. Her voice sounded strained. "You have to run, I'm dangerous. Forget about me Liz."

My eyes widened.

"Clap. Clap. Clap."

I whirled around to see Mr. Damond clapping slowly. His glasses reflected from the light, and his gray coat flapped in the breeze.

"It's about time. I'm getting sick of these games, Garda." An unfamiliar voice said from behind me.
I turned again, Max slowly rose to her feet. My stomach knotted.

She lifted her head; a twisted grin displayed itself on her face. Her eyes were cold and harsh.

"Max?" I asked shakily, but I knew that it wasn't my friend in front of me. It was the other person Max had warned me about before. "Get out of her head!" I shouted angrily.

Rage chuckled softly, "I'm glad she told you about me, it makes things...interesting." She licked her lips at the last word, making me shudder.

"Milady, what do you wish to do with this girl?" 'Garda' asked.

Rage paused. Tilting her head to the side as if she was listening to someone.

Hope flickered in my heart. 'She's still there. Maybe I can get her back.' I thought.

Rage's grin widened, "Whoo! She sure is mad about that idea."

She looked at me. "Kill her," she said.