Chapter 14: Punished

Liz's P.O.V.

  I felt sorry for Shadow.

 We had only been in the castle for a few hours, and already the young prince was giving her mindless tasks. First he wanted her to make his bed, (after he had jumped on it.), then he wanted her to steal a piece of cake from the kitchen. she refused. He wanted her to draw him a picture. She did, and he destroyed it. 

  All the while I could see her getting more and more frustrated. 

 Eve was a lot nicer. 

 "Thank you for the dress." I said thankfully, glad that I no longer had to hide my clothes. The dress had belonged to one of the nurses, and was a crisp white color. It was a little long for me, but Eve helped me hem it so that it wouldn't drag on the ground.

  Eve smiled kindly, "No problem." 

  Eve had also offered to give Shadow a dress, but I knew she wouldn't ware it. Shadow hated dresses. So instead she decided to ware an outfit that had belonged to one of the servants. She wore a pair of tattered brown pants, and a thick white cotton shirt. I sat down next to the small princess as she attempted to give the narfin Shadow had saved some milk. He growled weakly at her.

  "Kid I am not going to steal that guard's sword!"

  I could hear my friend shouting down the hall.

 "Why not?!"

 "Because I'm not going to do it!"

  "But I'm the Prince!"

  "And I still don't care!"

  I frowned, I hadn't ever seen Shadow this annoyed before. Images of Her taring through Damond's stomach flooded my mind. I shivered. Wondering just how long we would be staying in this strange world. 

  "Evan doesn't mean to be so mean." Eve said quietly. She always spoke softly.

  I jerked my head back up, I was so concerned over Shadow that I had barely heard the young girl.

 Eve sent me another one of her shy smiles. "He just misses mom and dad."

  I frowned, "What's this war about?"

  Eve's eyes filled with sorrow at the mention of the war her father was fighting in. "You really don't know?" 

  I looked down at my hands. "No. I'm sorry I asked."

 "It's okay," She said, shaking her head. "The war started two months ago. When a couple of the Darkmaster's demons crossed the eastern border. "

I blinked, 'they have demons here?' I quickly cleared my throat. "Who's the Darkmaster?"

 Eve shrugged, "No one really knows. Simon, the captain of all the guards, thinks that it's a rogue that got a hold of some black magic."

 She sighed, giving up on trying to feed the small stubborn animal. "He won't survive much longer if he doesn't eat, but narfins are extremely sensitive and won't just trust anyone. I can't get him to eat." 

  "Isn't there anything you can do?" I asked.

 "No. Not me. But that other girl who saved him might be able to gain his trust." She answered.

  I glanced at the young girl.  She was so young, but acted older then her brother. "How old are you?" 

  She giggled, covering her mouth with her small hands. "Six."

 I smiled, happy that I didn't have to put up with her brother.

Shadow's P.O.V.

   I frowned at the small boy as he pushed over one of the suits of armor, he stomped his foot on the ground and continued to yell at me. I grit my teeth in aggravation, his tantrum was starting to let Rage enter my mind again. I could feel the headache starting on the left side of my head.

  "Your my servant, and you have to do what I tell you to do!" Evan shouted.

 "No. I'm your caretaker. Not your slave." I said lowly, my left eye twitched. 

 The brat sneered meanly, "You might as well be. If you don't obey me you will be punished."

 I lifted my hand, he paused.

 "you wouldn't dare. I am the Prince of Tura and no one can-" His word cut off suddenly as my open hand slapped him across the face. He stumbled back and fell over the fallen suit of armor. 

  Evan looked up at me with wide shocked eyes, his hand touched his reddened cheek in disbelief. I crouched down, sneering down at the small boy.

 "Yes. you are a prince. That means that you have to be polite, and not act like the spoiled brat that you are. If I was your mother of father I would be ashamed of how you were behaving. Prince or not, you shouldn't act this way." I stood, "Now pick up that mess."

  I turned and stalked away, not caring about my 'punishment' he had threatened me with. If it wasn't for the fact that Fate wouldn't return us home before we did whatever it was we were meant to do, I would have already left. I needed to find the time to read anyway.

   I had a lot of questions to ask.

  I turned the corner and almost bumped into the person standing there. I stepped back, startled.

 "Heh, sorry,"the guard said, a look of amusement on his face. "Didn't mean to scare you. You must be one of the new people Starford had told me about."

  The man stuck out his hand, "I'm Captain Rankden, but you can call me Simon."

  I shook his hand and nodded warily, wondering if he had seen what I had done. "I'm Shadow."

  Simon grinned and crossed his well built arms over his chest, "Don't worry. I'm not going to execute you over knocking some sense into Evan. Hanna knows he needed it."

  I nodded, pretending to know who Hanna was. I could only assume that she was a person of importance in this world's history. Like god. 

  We both turned our heads as the sound of metal hitting the floor rang down the corridor. 

  The Captain smirked to himself, "I would have never guessed it, but he's actually doing what you told him to."

  I frowned, listening as the kid tried to piece back together the fallen metal suit. "I don't understand that kid..." I mumbled.

  Simon smiled sadly, "You don't have to. Everyone had been babying him because of his father being gone, and the queen is sick. She can't correct him. He only wants attention." He gazed down at me. "Just don't let him push you around, he'll stop listening."