Chapter 19: In the dark

If I did find him, I was going to punch him. In the face. Every day that I was here. 

  I moved carefully around another tree. The bow Simon had given me was armed, but safely pointed at the ground. I didn't want to shoot him. I wasn't that mad yet. 

  More rustling to my left.This time I catch a glimpse of dark fur. It was following me. I kept going, knowing that I definitely wouldn't be able to go back without the Captain's help. Yes, I was lost. Again.

 I smelled the air, hoping that I could at least find his sent. Nothing. 

  A low growling sound in front of me made me stop. Looks like my new friend was done following. I pulled back my arrow. 

  I wouldn't use it unless I absolutely had to. I only had three. 

  It had been years sense I had been in this kind of situation, but I hadn't forgotten. 

  The past wasn't something I couldn't learn from. 

  I really hate tests. Especially these kind.

  I slowly stepped to the side, keeping my arrow pointed at the dark shape in the brush. It's green eyes followed my movements. More growling.

  It might have been stupid, but I couldn't help but growl back at it.

  It moved, once again bringing me to a halt. First I saw One large paw. Then a second one. The creature slowly rose to it's full height. Thick black fur covered it and huge white fangs revealed themselves to me. 

  I'm glad I didn't have to pee. 

  I stood frozen in place, staring in horror at the massive wolf in front of me. It moved forward, eyes blazing madly. I couldn't run, I couldn't breath.  

  The wolf's tail swept across the ground, making the leaves that had fallen there one again become airborne. My mind screamed at me to move. 

  My arms that held the bow and arrow shook uncontrollably. 

 Wait.

 Arrow. 

 My brain was finally able to prosses something. 

  I kept my eyes on the big canine while I struggled to move my fingers enough to work them up the long part of the arrow.  The bow straightened.

  The wolf growled loudly, moving even closer. Drool dripped off it's mouth like a faucet. I gripped the arrow firmly in my hand, still not breaking eye contact with the large animal. I needed to move.

  In one movement, I jammed the arrow into my thigh. The pain breaking me out of shock. I dived to the side, only missing the wolf's paw by a few inches. I stumbled to my feet and ran.

  The smell of my own blood filled my nose. Hiding was not an option. 

  A load howl filled the air, making the trees tremble. It moved quickly behind me, unfazed by the trees blocking it's way. I pushed my legs, forcing them to move faster. 

  "Shadow!"

  My eyes widened as Simon came into view. 

  He was laying on his stomach. He was covered in blood. 

  I could have kept running and let the bloodthirsty animal have Simon. I had a chance to get away. 

  But like Evan said. 

  I'm an idiot.

 I Stopped, skidding on the ground slightly. The pain in my thigh was nonexistent to me. I stood in front of the captain, fists clenched. The energy level in my body was growing insanely. It felt like I had drunk at least a truckload of coffee. 

  The wolf leaped at us with it's mouth open and it's eyes blazing. Smoke rolled off my arms. 

  Both me and the wolf howled at the same time. We sounded the same. The ground jumped as a wave of energy blasted around me, the wolf dissolved into smoke. So did some trees.

  I huffed, completely out of breath. Some left over smoke lingered on my skin. My knees gave out from under my weight.

  "Shadow." 

  Simon caught me before I hit the ground. 

  I blinked in confusion. "Your okay?"

  He nodded. A look of regret on his face. "I was never hurt."

  I frowned. "But that doesn't make-ugh." I grabbed my head. 

  "This forest puts a person against their greatest fear. I use it to find out if I can trust a non-human or not." He explained. "Though, I never thought this would happen."

  I groaned. The Captain looked down at me. "That was you. Wasn't it?" I nodded weakly. I felt him pick me up. 

  "What are you?"

  I grabbed his shirt. "Can't. I'm not. A monster." My head was thudding like crazy,and I was worn out, but I couldn't fall asleep. I didn't need Rage running her psychopathic mouth at that moment.

  He was walking. "I never said you were." He said softly.

 I couldn't think. Couldn't tell myself not to answer him. 

 "I'm. The...the...grimm." My hand went limp. I felt cold. Exhausted. 

  I felt Simon inhale sharply at my words. My eyelids started to fall. "Tenshi..." I mumbled softly. My eyes closed completely. Did I mention that I loved the dark?

...................................................................................................................................................

  Liz's P.O.V.

  "Tenshi..." 

   My eyes shot open. I looked around the dark room, searching for my friend. She wasn't there. My heart dropped. Something was wrong, I could feel it.

  I jumped out of bed and ran to the door. My bare feet slapped on the cold wooden floor as I rushed through the hall. She was hurt. 

  I quickly descended the main staircase, just as the side door opened.

 I stopped in my tracks. A guard with brown hair carried Shadow inside. Her leg was soaked with a red liquid, and her hand hung lifelessly at her side. 

  "You must be Tenshi." The man said calmly.

  I ignored him. "Shadow!" I said, alarmed. 

 I ran to my unconscious friend and grabbed her hanging hand. "Your so cold." I said quietly. Her breath came out in short gasps. I felt her forehead, and immediately pulled my hand back. 

  Her hand may have been cold, but her head was burning up.

  I looked up at the man carrying her. "What happened?" I demanded. 

  He winced. 

  "I'm sorry. But I can't explain right now." He shoved past me. Taking my injured friend with him.