Chapter 16: Tension

Liz's P.O.V.

   I sat quietly on the old fashioned bed and watched Shadow. 

 She held the small white narfin in her lap, softly petting his head with her uninjured hand. Her dark hair fell over her eyes, hiding them so that I couldn't read them. Her other hand held the book of fate. She hadn't bothered to open it yet. 

  I looked away, knowing that something was bothering her. My eyes drifted around the room we were given. 

  The walls were dare except for the heavy drapes that hung in front of the window. Two beds sat against the wall, separated by a small night-table. A candle holder with only three candles lit the small space dimly. 

  My thoughts were also drifting, trying to make sense of the day's events.

 We were in another world. One that had demons, dark magic, and strange animals. We were servants for the two royal sibling. Their mother was sick, and their father was fighting a war we knew nothing about. 

  And I had the feeling that something was wrong with my best friend.

  I glanced back down at her darkened figure sitting on the wooden  floor. The narfin seemed a lot more relaxed in her arms. Although, it still hadn't eaten yet. 

  I cleared my throat, wanting to break the silence.

  Shadow's eyes flashed a bright green from behind her hair. I struggled not to act suprised, and failed.

  My friend sighed, raising her head and giving me an smirk. To anyone else it would have been a sign that she was okay, but I knew better. 

  She could fool everyone in the world if she wanted to, and I would still know that she was faking it.

  "She's not gone, is she?" I asked, avoiding using Rage's name.

  I could see Shadow's eye twitch. "No..."

  I narrowed my eyes.

"Maybe..."

 I crossed my arms over my chest and glared at her.

  "yes." She sighed.

  I softened my gaze. "Why didn't you tell me?"

  "Why didn't you tell me your name?" She asked flatly. 

  I frowned. She was right, I didn't tell her right away, but I couldn't see where that had anything to do with Rage's reappearance. Unless she had never left to begin with...

  I looked down at the floor. She didn't tell me about Rage because she knew I couldn't do anything, and didn't want me to get upset. 

  Something suddenly slammed into the side of my head. A familiar-looking book landed between my feet.  I looked up at Shadow and rubbed the spot where it made contact. "What was that for?"

  Shadow grinned innocently, "I have no idea what your talking about."

  I picked Fate up from off the ground. "Oh, right. and I'm supposed to believe that your book attacked me by itself."

  Her grin widened, "yup."

 "Okay, I'll just ask it then." I said, opening the hardback book.

 Shadow's shoulders relaxed. "Go ahead." She leaned her back against the wall and continued to pet the small white animal.

 I blinked. Realizing that that was exactly what she wanted me to do. I shook my head, deciding to let it go. 

 I started reading...