Chapter 7: The hospital

"Shadow"

The sound of a fan hummed in my ear. I shifted my head to the side, trying to wake up. My mind was clouded.

"Shadow."

"Hun?" I mumbled, slowly opening my eyes.

Liz sat next to me. She smiled, relief shone in her eyes. "Hey, long time no see."

"Wha?" I asked, trying to sit up. Pain stabbed at my side, making me cringe. I felt Liz put her hand on my shoulder.

"You shouldn't try to move." She said, gently pushing me back.

"Where am I?" I asked quietly, "It smells like bleach."

"The hospital. You've been asleep for almost two days." Liz said simply.

I frowned in confusion, "What hap-"

My eyes shot open as my memory returned.

"Liz, are you okay? That guy was going to-"

"He's dead." Liz said, cutting me off. I blinked in surprise.

"You... Do you remember? You saved me...and them you..." Liz stopped.

I stared at her, trying to recall what exactly happened.

I remembered being held down by Rage. Garda had been approaching Liz, he was going to kill her.
Then I,...

I moved in front of her.

I moved my hand up to my chest, remembering the pain of his sword slicing through me.

"How... How am I alive? What happened?" I asked, confused.

"...it's....complicated." Liz answered carefully. I blinked in confusion, "What?"
She stayed quiet.

I stared back at her, thinking. "You didn't call me Max just then, did you?" I finally asked.

"No. You wouldn't answer when I called your other name."

"What did you call me?"

"Shadow." She answered, smiling awkwardly.

My eyes studied her, and I frowned. A white streak had appeared on the left side of her head. Bandages covered her arms and hands. "Are you okay? What happened to your hair?"

"Hm? Oh. That showed up the other night."

"You think that's strange, you should see yourself." She said, taking a mirror off the bedside table. She handed it to me.

I looked into the mirror with wide eyes.

My hair had turned black, and my eyes were an odd bright green. An unfamiliar black collar was around my neck, a silver charm with a strange symbol on it was attached. My free hand touched the cool metal. I blinked, so did my reflection.

"This is just too weird." I stated, lowering the mirror. Liz nodded her head in agreement.

I closed my eyes, tired of being so confused, "Okay. Tell me what happened."

Liz shifted in her seat uncomfortably.

"I followed you outside," Liz started quietly. "Then you started acting strange. You-, I mean. She had taken control over you." I nodded, encouraging her to continue. "Then the substitute showed up. She told him to kill me..." I clenched my jaw. "But you...you..."

Liz shuddered. My eyes softened, I reached out and patted her hand. "It's okay, I'm just glad it wasn't you." I said. Liz smiled greatfully, but the guilt was still in her eyes.