Sugar Rush

Edward x Reader

Ed was like a sugar rush. Each moment spent with him was unpredictable and exciting, in Edward's own little way. It always kept you coming back to his sweet, joking nature that only you truly understood.
However, a while into your relationship, that sugar coating dripped off, and the the true behavior of Edward Nygma was revealed.
"It's not like that! We could never do that to her!" you heard him whisper one night when he thought you were asleep. Many more times like that followed.
"Go away, leave me alone!"
"Stop trying to do this, stop trying to change me!" He screamed these frightening words as you walked through his front door one rainy afternoon. The box you carried in your hand, a late valentines gift, tumbled to the floor.
The box was kicked over by Ed's careless feet as he ran after you that day. It sat and waited while your name was shouted down the echoing hall by a man who you knew you could never be with.
You left Gotham the next day, tired of the games everyone was playing in the sick city. Yet, with your hands on the steering wheel, part of you couldn't help but remember the candy-coated man who you had come to love over such a long period of time and left in such a short one. Questions lingered and made your heart throb with the pain of eternal loss.
Who was he, truly? Who was he always talking too? And what could possibly cause our relationship to just...split?

Author's Note: Check out my other Gotham fics if you haven't already! I've got:
•Jerome and Harleen
•Depth of Insanity
•Gotham Preferences
•Batman and Catwoman