Chapter Six

Chapter Six: Maggie

I'm about to freaking die.

There were no other words to express what I'm thinking right now other than that, as soon as I heard the familiar voice that directed that sudden statement towards me.

Maybe I'm just hallucinating, maybe it wasn't for me, maybe there's someone, anyone named Carter just lurking around somewhere. Just don't turn around and-

"You know I'm talking to you, Carter." and just like that, I felt the atmosphere shift and a palpable presence move towards me.

In a low tone, it was almost as if he was whispering in my ear "Maggie Carter." he clarified as I felt my heart pound "So why don't you turn around, be polite and face me?"

I didn't say a word, didn't move a muscle, just simply stood there hoping to God he'll walk away, knowing I was not gonna do no such thing as to turn around, be polite and face him.

But unfortunately, he was stubborn. In the very obnoxious, tempting way, that is "What? Not so tough now? Couldn't be because of the fact we're all alone when you were practically all over me last week-"

"What is it that you want, Williams?" I said as I finally granted him his wish and turned around, facing what I dreaded, which was his face being almost centimeters away from my face.

He grinned "To answer your curiosity, that's all. I couldn't help but listen to your conversation with my ex-girlfriend, Mandy-"

"So what? We're just eavesdropping now?"

"You of all people should be the last one to call me out on such a thing."

"I wasn't planning to get myself involved when you hadn't called me pathetic!"

"I was just being honest in the same way you were honest with me."

"At least what I did was for your own good. You could've at least been polite."

"Sadly, I don't do polite," he remarked, grinning cheekily.

"So what do you do, then? Act as if you can never do anything wrong because you're such an expert at dodging criticism and that people just let you get away with your actions?"

"It's not my fault the people here are nothing but complete idiots who easily fear the ones who appear much more superior than them," he scorned.

I let out a scoff "But I guess that's never gonna be the case because what I did was to do the one thing that people here are so afraid to do just because you think so highly of yourself and use aggression as your defense when others start to stand up to you."

"May I just remind you that I was the one who got cheated on."

"But that doesn't excuse how before all that, you were evidently too saddled up on your high horse making you think it's okay to treat and speak to people so poorly like that. You barely knew me but you had the audacity to call me names as if you knew me."

"Same as how you don't know me either." he hissed "So stop acting as if you do."

"So what you're saying is me calling you out for being an asshole with no manners isn't true? Answer me this then, considering you weren't in denial with what Kassie had been lashing out last Friday, were you really innocent before Mandy had cheated?"

"Had you honestly treated her right enough to prove that Mandy was the bad guy out of all of this? You never denied not treating her like shit and as a matter of fact, you even boasted about your behavior when Kassie started calling you out for it-" he could only shake his head.