Chapter Sixty-Four

Chapter Sixty-Four: Maggie

We drove mindlessly through LA with no particular destination in mind, passing street after street as we let the silence consume us.

He didn't have to say it, but I could feel it, I could feel his anxiety seeping right out of his body and into the atmosphere, I could feel his sanity hanging on by a thread, knowing fully well that no matter how long he'll drive around in circles trying to get away from the situation, is that we can't run away forever.

We can't keep running back in circles like how we once did, we can't ignore what was hurled right into our lives just when we thought we had finally done it. Achieved a peaceful life.

I remember thinking to myself back then that as long as we were both side by side with each other, chaos was always straight ahead, but I thought it was because we supplied our own torment.

But as soon as we've progressed past the need to wear ourselves out, is when life decided to throw a massive curveball at us and think hey, did you think this was the end of it?

My life isn't simple, I'm always paranoid for a reason and it's mainly because I know what it feels like to be constantly pulled out of every moment's worth of happiness, and feeling like the happiness life gives to you is limited.

Like I'm never supposed to be happy, in the first place.

I can never be settled and live a peaceful life without having to always look over my shoulder, trying to see if something is lurking in the shadows, ready to pull me back into the darkened depths of the hell I was brought into since the day I was fucking born.

That's why dreams of going to places like New York and meeting a nice guy I genuinely like aren't just easy to wish for, thinking I could achieve them in the future, it was never easy for me to just hope.

Because this is reality, and no matter how many times you think you can just get the guy, move on, and live happily ever after, one way or another something or someone is gonna deter that.

We humans were never meant to be at peace with our lives, we're always running away from something one way or another.

I felt the world around me spin in an infinite rotation, my head pounding like crazy as I cupped my head in between my hands, closing my eyes as I groaned "Fuck, I hate this. I hate this so much."

"Maggie, are you-"

"Can we please stop somewhere? My head is hurting and with the car moving I feel like I'm about to pass out." I said gruffly as Evan nodded

"Sure, sure, hold on."

With that, he took a couple of quick turns before he stopped his car at a nearby park that was mostly empty with at least one man walking his dog and a woman jogging.

I unlocked my seatbelt and turned to Evan only to see that his eyes were already on me "Can we please take a walk?"

His gaze softened at my request. "Of course, anything you want."

We got out of the vehicle and made our way into the park, feeling the crisp air bite into my skin as I wrapped my arms around my body.

But it didn't take long for Evan to notice my state as he grabbed onto my elbow, halting me in my steps as he turned me around and started removing his jacket.

I watched him as he took off each sleeve and pulled them from the inside out before gently placing his suit jacket on top of my shoulders, his hands lingering there for a moment as he slowly lowered his palms down my arms and squeezed them.