Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter Forty-Three: Maggie

When I told Evan about Beth's proposition for them to meet up and talk about where they finally stand as people and what his intentions were with me, he was shocked, to say the least.

He couldn't decide whether or not he wanted to go through with it not because he didn't want to, but because he wasn't sure whether Beth was only doing this for me and not because she was actually ready to tie all loose ends with him.

Not gonna lie, even I was second-guessing the idea because even I thought Beth was only doing this just so that I would feel comfortable around her and Evan.

I didn't want her to feel pressured into giving some sort of peace offering just because she feels like she owes it to me when as a matter of fact, all that I want is for her to feel anything but burdened anymore.

But she was adamant. Saying how this was needed and that she was strong enough to finally make amends, and it was either now or never.

Of course, I couldn't go against her wishes because if she says that this is what she wants, who am I to refuse? It's time I finally listen to my friends and not what I think is best for them.

"So? What's the plan?"

It was currently Sunday, and Beth had texted me saying how she was ready to have a chat with Evan and that she would be willing to do it here at my place, and I agreed.

Although that doesn't mean that the plan didn't scare me, debating whether I should encourage her to get this over with and to not meddle or to do the complete opposite and intervene due to my discomfort. But that was selfish, this isn't about me, this is about her.

I know deep inside regardless of how uneasy I felt that it would not be equal to the amount of hurt she's endured, so I don't have the right to pick her choices for her.

"Hey, hey."

I hadn't even noticed Evan was looking over at me with soft, worried eyes as we waited by the living room for Beth's arrival, with me sitting on the living room couch as I nervously bounced my knee up and down.

My restlessness would have probably been sensed from miles away, so I don't blame Evan as he carefully kneels onto the floor so he could level his gaze with mine.

He looked at me in quiet sympathy before caressing the side of my head, smiling "You need to stop worrying, nothing bad is going to happen."

I sighed "How can we be so sure of that? We don't even know if this decision is actually sincere or if she just felt pressured to do it."

"Even if that's the case and we somehow find ourselves in a dilemma it's gonna be between me and Beth, okay? You've done so much already, I think it's time you ease down a bit."

"You know I can't do that," I remarked as Evan chuckled, leaning forward as he pressed a lingering kiss on the side of my head, catching me off guard.

"Then try," he whispered, "Just try, at least for me?"

He pulled away to divert his eyes with mine and I couldn't help but chew on my bottom lip, feeling quite flustered "Evan-"

"Promise me you'll try," he ventured "To try and be calm, and to trust me when I say I got this."

I heaved out a sigh, feeling quite restless still despite how awfully reassuring his tone was, how there's not a single trace of doubt laced in his words but for some reason, I'm brewing with uneasiness and more.