Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter Twenty-Eight: Maggie

I was so distraught with everything that's happened that I didn't even give a damn that this is literally the first time Beth and Emily have started talking to me ever since they ditched me at the parking lot when Levi and I broke up.

Not talk specifically, but basically acknowledged me as a human being after so long of not doing so. But due to how I was so caught up trying to make sure Evan was still alive, I scarcely paid them any mind.

Going back and forth all over the place as I informed the school staff who had done this to him, which later on I found out were a group of students known as The Greasers, a particular clique who I only ever heard about from Levi.

But it seems as though Beth was quite familiar with them considering she was quick to confirm who they were, and all I had to do was mention that one of them was Mandy's brother.

The following events leading up to that were a blur, with Principal Miller calling Tiffany and Mason to inform them about what happened in a complete frenzy.

He also called the ambulance, and to say it was utter chaos in the parking lot would be an understatement. Students were huddling up trying to see what the commotion was all about, some of them were shocked, displeased, or just overall thrilled that another socialite scandal was unfolding before their eyes.

Despite wanting to set them all on fire for their lack of empathy, I basically just shut the whole world out as I only prioritized Evan and nothing else.

With everything else In the background fading into a series of black and white, I could only focus on him even as they strolled him at the back of the ambulance and strapped him up, readying him to the hospital as I held his hand the entire time, hoping he'll be okay.

"We'll see you there," Beth noted with a nod before they shut the doors of the vehicle and drove off, making me divert my gaze to Evan's limp body as he tried his best to stay awake.

"Hang in there, okay?" I said, clutching his hand with both of my own, doing my best not to get emotional as I watched the paramedic aid his bruises, cuts, and wounds "It'll be fine."

He cracked his eyes open just for the slightest bit to meet my eye, obviously struggling "M-Maggie." he stammered.

"I'm here." I told him, feeling tears well up to my eyes as I quickly wiped them away "I'm here, it's okay. I'm not going anywhere, you'll be alright, okay?"

He nodded his head in a weak attempt to reciprocate my efforts to comfort him because at this point, I felt just as beaten up and inferior having to look at him suffer like this alone.

I've dealt with situations before seeing my loved ones go through difficult times where they just looked utterly weak and fragile, but not like this. Having to see someone I care about being physically harmed was something I've always feared, but I just never thought it'd be him.

I knew he'd gone through dilemmas like this before, I knew he wasn't a stranger when it came to making enemies who wanted him lying limp on the ground fighting for his breath, I just never thought it'd look this bad.

Or maybe I was just too caught up in my head assuming his world was as easy to criticize for how it looked, going on about how I'll never be able to understand because I was better than him.

Which I have done many times before, not really empathizing with the situation at hand thinking I knew better when I didn't. But as soon as I realized my conviction was wrong, it hurt just as much for me seeing what the aftermath had done to him because I never wanna have to fear for someone's well-being like this ever again.