73

The Signs as the Disney Film Eras

The Golden Age (1937-1942):

Includes the films Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, and Bambi. These films were characterized by their darkness, extreme mood shifts, and their ability to engage all of the audience emotions, making transitions from "dark" to "sweet"

Cancer, Scorpio

The Silver Age (1950-1959):

Includes the films Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, and The Jungle Book. These films are most admired for their beautiful animation and ornate backgrounds, the soft colors used, and the magical feel they give.

Libra, Pisces

The Bronze Age (1960-1988):

Includes the films The Aristocats, Robin Hood, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, The Rescuers, The Fox and the Hound, The Black Cauldron, The Great Mouse Detective, and Oliver and Company. These films were mostly trial and error, because the Walt Disney Company lacked the guidance and imagination of Walt. The films are dark, secular stories, with more of an introverted feel. The goal of the company was to spend less money, and is sometimes called the Transitional Era.

Capricorn, Virgo

The Disney Renaissance (1989-1999):

Includes the films The Little Mermaid, The Rescuers Down Under, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan and Tarzan. Most notable era of Disney filmmaking, as they were most popular with the box-office. They are classified by their Broadway formula, and their popularity in popular culture

Gemini, Leo

Post Renaissance Era (2000-2009):

Includes the films Fantasia 2000, Dinosaur, The Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Lilo and Stitch, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Home on the Range, Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, and Bolt. These films have no common themes unlike other eras, but Disney developed a new method of storytelling, making their content original. There was a shift from tradition animation to CGI. Their stories are set in a more "futuristic" or modern time, and there isn't much focus on fairytale storytelling.

Aquarius, Sagittarius

The Revival Era (2010-Present):

Includes the films Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Winnie the Pooh, Wreck it Ralph, Frozen, and Big Hero 6. These films are classified as the Walt Disney Company's return to their roots, with fairytale storytelling and the return of the idea of musicals.

Aries, Taurus