Chapter Two

The cliché of time stopping around you proved to be entirely true, at least for me. I can't believe how much three years has changed him.

My fingers play with the ends of my skirt, shaking subtly under his gaze. I glance at Louis who seems confused at our awkward staring contest, in which I clearly do not have the upper hand. He opens his mouth to say something, but a slow, deep voice catches me off guard.

"Well if it isn't little Meredith."

My mouth goes dry, realizing I need to say something back. How can I possibly hold a conversation Harry when he looks and sounds like God himself?

"H-Hi Harry," I blush and inwardly curse at myself for stuttering. He has a smirk on his face, showing off a dimpled cheek.

His dimples make him seem much less intimidating, like the Harry I used to know. He always had a toothy grin and his curls were a lot shorter. His breathtaking eyes used to be filled with joy and now, looking at me, they hold another emotion and I cannot determine exactly what it is.

He smirks deeper at me and takes a sip of the beer he's holding in his unusually large hand. He's definitely enjoying my flustered state. Louis clears his throat and breaks the silence.

"Well," he scratches the side of his head and looks at me, "The pizza should be here soon and we need to discuss something with you, Mer."

"Is everything okay?" I glance between the two of them. Harry still has his eyes on me and his constant gaze makes me uncomfortably shift from foot to foot.

"Yeah, everything's fine. Why don't you go upstairs for a minute, I need to talk to Harry about something." He gives Harry a harsh look. I nod my head, happy to get out of there.

Once I enter my room I shut the door and lean against it, letting out a breath I wasn't aware I was holding. I feel my phone vibrate in my hand and see a text from Zayn.

Babe: You really don't have to go to this party if you don't want to.

Me: Don't worry about it.

I really don't feel like having a conversation about this. I know he's actually grateful I accepted the invite and he's just trying to be nice. He's been itching to drink and all that, but he hasn't. I know he's been controlling himself for me, and I appreciate it, but he needs some fun. I mean, he told me he's changed.

I felt my phone vibrate again, but I just ignore it. I kick my shoes off and lay on my bed, picking up my favorite book. I start to read Looking for Alaska for the millionth time. No matter how many times I read it, I cry at the end. I'm always either overly emotional or emotionless. It's exhausting being so black and white all the time.

I can't seem to focus, not when sex on legs is standing in my kitchen. It was so strange, the way he was staring at me. He was probably just overwhelmed with my flaws. I know I am every time I look in the mirror. I'm too short, my eyes are too big for my face, and the dark circles under them only emphasize my pale, death-like skin. I don't even want to know the thoughts that were running through his head when he saw me.

I sigh loudly, wondering what they're talking about downstairs and why I couldn't hear it. Is it about me? Probably not, I'm just being paranoid. I hope. Louis seemed kind of pissed. I decide to go downstairs again. I gave them a while to talk, besides, it's my house too. I walk down the hall to the staircase but I stop in my tracks when I hear yelling. I take a seat at the top of the stairs to listen.

"What the hell is the matter with you!" I hear Louis yell, making me flinch. I hate it when people yell.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Harry replies calmly.

"I'm talking about you eye fucking my little sister."

"You're crazy," Harry scoffs. "She's like 12."

Excuse me?

"She's 18 and you know that. I swear to God Haz, if you lay a finger on her we are going to have a big problem."

"What makes you think I would do that? I've known her since she was a little girl."

"I know how you are," Louis seethes, "She's been through enough. She doesn't need you messing with her head."

"Whatever, you're being ridiculous."

"No, I'm being realistic."

The doorbell rings, stopping their fight. I can't believe what I just heard. Eye fucking me? Hardly. Louis is being so overprotective. Harry would never want someone like me.

"Mer, the food's here!" Louis yells from the kitchen. Fuck, this is going to be awkward. I take a deep breath and walk down the stairs.

Louis is sitting at the table, already eating a slice of pizza and Harry is sitting on the counter, typing on his phone. I silently put the smallest piece on a plate and get a glass of water. I sit across from my brother, pulling small pieces off of my pizza and eating them. Louis looks deep in thought and the tension is thick in the room. I can't take it anymore.

"So what did you need to speak to me about?" I say, proud of myself for not stuttering.

Harry lifts his head up and quirks an eyebrow at Louis. My brother clears his throat and wipes his mouth.

"This is only going to happen if you're comfortable with it," he starts, searching my eyes. "Harry's house is being remodeled and needs a place to stay for a bit. Seeing as how we have an extra bedroom, I offered to let him use it. Is that okay with you?"

My stomach drops as he says this. Harry sleeping in the room directly next to mine gives me a weird feeling, and I don't know if it's good or not. I look at Harry and his eyes are already on me. I would feel bad if I said no. It sounds like he really doesn't have any place to go. He intimidates me, but intrigues me at the same time. So I nod my head and smile softly.

"Sounds fine to me."

Thanks for reading (:

Vote & Comment

All the love xo