Chapter Thirty Three*

Louis has been blowing up my phone ever since I left.  I know the only reason he isn't marching his little ass over here to drag me home is that he doesn't want to see Harry.  I don't know why he cares so much.  I figured he'd be happy to have me gone after the fight.

I'm sitting Indian style on the couch with Harry on the ground in front of me.  After weeks of me badgering him about it, he's finally letting me braid his hair.  I'm just about finished when my phone rings on the coffee table with Louis' ringtone.

"He's calling again?" Harry asks.

"It would appear so," I answer dryly.  I finish the braid with a hair tie and smile at my work, letting the ringing play out on its own, feeling a slight pang of guilt.

Harry turns around to face me.  He sets his forearms across my knees, resting his head on them and looking up at me.

"Maybe you should talk to him," he says softly.  I shake my head immediately.

"Not after what happened."

"You're going to have to let go of that," he takes my hand in his.  "He's your brother."

"How are you so forgiving about all this?  He beat the shit out of you."

"Hey," he places a hand over his heart like he's offended.  "I could've taken him if I wanted."

"Then why didn't you?" I raise an eyebrow.

"I figured I deserved a hit or two. I mean, I did have every intention of deflowering his baby sister."

"Idiot," I snort, laughing with him.

"But seriously.  I know how it feels to worry about you.  He deserves to know how you're doing."

I sigh deeply and look between Harry and my phone.  I know he's right.  I'm just scared of how it'll go.  Harry seems to know I'm debating this, so he reaches for my phone and hands it to me.

"Call."

"Will you stay with me?" I ask quietly.

"Course princess," he smiles.

I take a deep breath, tapping on Louis' contact and putting it on speaker.  Harry holds my hand for support, soothingly rubbing his thumb against my skin.

"What do you want?" Louis growls into the phone.

My heart drops and I stutter my way through my answer.

"H-Hi."

"Mer?  Oh my God, is that you?" his voice is immediately lighter.

"Yeah," I say wearily.

I hear him mutter breathy swear words.

"I'm so sorry.  I didn't check the ID and I thought it was – nevermind.  Are you okay?  Why haven't you been answering my calls?  Wh-"

"I'm fine, Lou," I interrupt him.  "D-Did you see my note?"

"Yeah, I did.  I'm assuming you're still with him?" he says bitterly.

"I am.  I'm assuming you're still going to be a dick about it?"

Harry gives me a stern look and I shrug in response.

"Mer," he sighs.  "I don't want to fight with you right now.  I miss you."

"I miss you too," I say quietly.

"Then why don't you come home?"

"I-I can't," my eyes start to tear up.

"Why not?  You just left for no reason an-"