Chapter Five

Trigger Warning

Harry's POV

I've been driving around for ten minutes, feeling nauseous at the thought of Meredith being hurt.

Where the fuck is she?

She sounded like she couldn't breathe when I talked to her. Louis was in the shower when she called him and I am so fucking glad I was there to answer.

Running a shaky hand through my hair, I decide to turn onto a street that looks deserted. About a mile down the road I see a house lit up with cars and people surrounding it. Could she have been stupid enough to go to a party like this? Probably, the way she was dressed.

I almost reach the house when my headlights shine on something next to a nearby tree. I soon realize it's a person - no, a girl - lying passed out on the ground. My stomach drops the second I recognize that it's Meredith.

I abruptly stop my car and rush over to her, not even shutting the door. I kneel beside her and cradle her tiny body in my arms, shaking her a bit. She smells like she's been drinking.

I push the hair out of her face to see a large bruise forming on her left eye and cheekbone. I trail my eyes a little lower and suck in a sharp breath when I am met with the deep red handprint on her neck.

My mind is clouded with the possible scenarios she could've been in. She starts mumbling and scrunches her face slightly.

"Mer? Meredith, wake up," I say loudly, cradling her face in my hands.

She blinks a few times before she opens her eyes fully. She darts her eyes in every direction but mine, tensing up. When she finally looks at me she furrows her eyebrows a bit.

"Harry?" She asks, her voice scratchy. Her eyes go wide before muttering, "Oh, God." She quickly turns to her side, emptying her stomach of the alcohol she consumed.

I gather her hair into a makeshift ponytail and gently rub her back. The second she stops throwing up she breaks into gut wrenching sobs. I pull her into my lap and hold her, half surprised she doesn't push me away or yell at me for touching her. Instead, she curls into my embrace.

"Shhh baby, it'll be okay. Things will be okay, just let it out," I reassure her.

We sit like this for a while under the tree I found her by. Me, leaning against it and holding her small frame against mine, running my hands through her hair and telling her to breathe.

The noise of the party beside us is just a reminder of what happened to her. I hope to God she lets me in. I need to know what's going on with her, and not just about tonight. Ever since she was little I've felt the need to protect her, only now I feel I can actually care for her the way I've wanted – despite what Louis says.

When her tears seem to have stopped, I shift us so her face is level with mine. She still looks beautiful, even with running makeup and tearstained cheeks. I reach my hand up to gently caress her cheek, careful not to touch the bruise.

"We should probably get back home," I say softly. She nods her head slowly. I lean in and kiss her forehead before standing up, continuing to hold her. She wraps her arms around my neck and looks up at me as I walk to my car. I set her gently in the passenger seat, putting her seatbelt on for her.

I climb immediately into the other side of the car and check my phone before I drive away. I have 4 missed calls from Louis and a text from him asking where I am. I rub my hands on my face and sigh, knowing what a mess this is going to be.

I should've forced her to stay home. I shouldn't have let the shock of Meredith having a boyfriend stop me from keeping her safe. Fuck, her boyfriend. Where was he all this time? Could this have been his fault? I ball my fists in anger and have to take a few deep breaths to calm myself down. I send Lou a text telling him to go outside and wait for me to come back.