Chapter 1: On the Run

(Author's Note; I don't own anything but my main character. Everything else belongs to J.K. Rowling)

Charlotte's POV
My breaths were coming rapidly, and my heart was accelerating almost out of my chest, as I ran. I could feel my shrunken suitcase of belongings thumping against my leg from inside my pocket, and my long blonde hair flying behind me.
I darted into an alleyway, the darkness of the night cloaking me.
'I think I lost them' I thought to myself.
Images of the four dead bodies filled my mind, and I shook my head to erase the vision.
There was no turning back, and no where I could go.
I closed my eyes for a moment, intending to get my bearings. It took me a minute, but I realized what I could do. I only hoped it would work.
I peeked around the corner.
Nothing.
The streets were clear.
Again, I started to run.
I felt like my lungs would explode. I didn't know how long it was until I reached the edge of a forest. It didn't look familiar, but I figured the trees could hide me, and anywhere was better than back where I came from.
Eventually, I pushed through, and came out on the other side. I let out a breath of relief as my eyes fell on the castle, which was dimly lit by candles attached all around the perimeter.
Hogwarts.
I hesitated slightly as I walked up the hill, finally approaching the gate. From my experience, I figured there was a protection charm around the whole castle. I had no idea how I would break through.
My desperation starting to rise up within me again, I did the only thing I knew I could do.
I apparated.
It was a split second of haze and blur before I landed in what I could tell was a corridor of the castle.
I took a moment to catch my breath. Someone cleared their throat, and my head snapped up at the sound.
I held out my wand, my heart beating a tattoo against my ribcage.
In front of me stood an elder wizard, long silvery-white beard, and half moon spectacles.
The man chuckled quietly, his gentle eyes fixed on me.
"No need to worry, dear, I will not harm you. I just wonder what you're doing in the castle this late at night. You aren't one of the students."
I lowered my wand, letting out a nervous breath.
"I am Albus Dumbledore, headmaster, and you're in Hogwarts. What is your name, young lady?"
"I know where I am, sir. My name is Charlotte Day."
Dumbledore looked at me inquisitively.
There was a split second of silence before I spoke again.
"I need your help, and this is the only place I could think of to come." I stated.
The headmaster motioned for me to follow him, and I didn't hesitate. We approached a staircase. He muttered what I assumed was a password, and we ascended up the steps.
When we reached an office, he led me to a chair, and I hesitantly sat down.
"Now tell me, child, what seems to have you so frightened?"
I sighed. "I'm on the run. My parents and grandmother were killed by DeathEaters. I barely escaped with my life." I could feel tears brimming in my eyes.
"Is there something else?" The headmaster asked quietly, seemingly concerned.
It ripped me apart to think about saying it out loud, but I knew if I didn't tell him, he might not let me stay.
I whispered it in his ear.
After I did so, his eyes gleamed with worry and kindness all at once.
"Very well, you may stay here until we figure out what to do. How old are you, my dear?"
"21." I answered curtly.
"You look rather young, so you should fit in fine disguised as a student. You will be a sixth year. Your secret will be safe with me, Charlotte."
I couldn't help myself as I hugged Dumbledore in thanks.
After a moment I pulled back, smiling.
"Good. There is one more thing."
I furrowed my brows confused, as I watched him pick up a scraggly witch's hat in his hands.
"You must be sorted into a house, as every student is."
I allowed him to place the hat on my head, and I could hear it speaking inside my mind.
'You seem to be smart...I can sense a strength about you, you don't give up easily...a motivation and determination to succeed...a bravery within...I say....GRYFFINDOR!"
I flinched at that.
Dumbledore removed the hat, a wide smile on his face.
"Welcome to Gryffindor, Charlotte. Now, it is nearly 6am, and I have much to do, it being only the second day of school. You may stay here in my office, try and rest a bit before 9am. I will come fetch you when it's time for breakfast. That is where you will be introduced to your house, and Hogwarts classmates."
I nodded in understanding, and with a gentle smile, Dumbledore exited his office.
I sat down on the only couch in the room, and laid back, trying to close my eyes. In a surprise, my exhaustion claimed me, and almost instantly I was asleep.
*****