Chapter 9: Black Lake Break-Through

(A/N: this is what I think the Black Lake should look like, and that is all.)

Charlotte's POV, 1 week later
Something was happening to me. And I didn't know what.
I'd never felt like this before. And I didn't know what it was.
Unfortunately, what I did know: it had to do with Professor Snape. I still hated him, but I was starting to feel something other than hate. It was completely freaking me out. I knew what I had to do: I had to try and ignore it.
"Charlotte, are you alright?"
I broke out of my thoughts, and looked at Valerie.
"Yeah, I'm fine." I replied, forcing a smile.
We finally got outside of the Potions Classroom, and I let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding. We walked inside, and took our usual seat next to each other. Ever since we had become friends at the beginning of the year, we'd started sitting together. I hadn't even realized Valerie was in the same class. But when I did, I was thrilled.
I kept my eyes off the front of the room, weary to make eye contact with Professor Snape. Instead, I kept my nose in my textbook.
Severus' POV
As hard as I tried, I couldn't keep my gaze off of Charlotte.
I was so used to calling her Miss Day that it was strange calling her Charlotte, or thinking of her in any other way than as a student.
She was affecting me, and I didn't understand why. I didn't like it.
I wasn't used to these kinds of emotions, not since Lily.
I broke out of my thoughts just in time to introduce the lesson.
Charlotte's POV
Professor Snape opened his mouth to begin speaking when he was interrupted by a chair scraping back, and someone standing up.
George.
I rose an eyebrow, as he walked over, and stood in front of me.
"Charlotte, will you do me the honor of attending the Yule Ball with me?" He announced out loud, so the whole class could hear.
I was shell-shocked. My jaw dropped in disbelief as I looked at him. He winked playfully, leaning in to whisper.
"Play along."
I half smirked, and nodded.
"She said yes, everyone!" He exclaimed, ignoring Snape's cold glare.
I laughed at his antics.
"Mr. Weasley, take your seat this instant." Snape growled.
George obeyed, but not before blowing me a friendly kiss.
I joked around, and pretended to catch it.
I glanced at Snape out of the corner of my eye, and he was watching the exchange with a look I could only describe as envy.
My mind whirred. 'Why would he be jealous?'
I rid my mind of the thoughts in a moment, and tuned back in to listen to the lesson.
******
A few hours later, nighttime
I successfully exited the castle, and quietly snuck down to the Black Lake. I reached the edge of it, and sat down against the trunk of a tree. I stared up at the crescent moon, and admired the beautiful scenery of the lake.
I figured this was the only place I could clear my head.
There were so many things clouding it.
I hadn't really given myself the time to mourn the death of my parents and grandmother. I believed that crying made you weak. No one should ever see you weak.
But, I didn't know if I could stay strong anymore.
I felt a single tear slide down my cheek. I didn't ever really consider myself to be alone, but now, I was. My family was gone, and it was weighing heavy on me. That, and my guilt from what I had done that night.
I was so wrapped up in my reverie that I didn't hear the person approach, but I heard when they spoke.
"Miss Day, it is past curfew. Get to your room."
I turned my head slightly, and my heart started racing faster when I saw it was Professor Snape.
I sighed, and stood up without a word.
I went to walk past him, but he stopped me in my tracks, hands laying on both of my shoulders.
He eyed my face, eyes filling with concern.
What he did next left me speechless.
Before I could react, his thumb had gently caressed my face, wiping the tear away.
I couldn't comprehend why he had just done that. I didn't know what to think.
My whole body seemed to spark at his touch. I pushed down the foreign feeling.
I just stared at him, seeing him in a new light.
He could be nice, and perhaps even sweet. If it could be believed.
We stood there, staring at each other before I broke the silence.
"By the way, George and I are going to the Yule Ball just as friends."
And with that, I finally walked past him, up the hill, and back into the castle.
********
A/N: the next chapter will be the Yule Ball, which I'm excited to write. I already know it's going to be my favorite chapter to do. I'll be writing it and posting it on Saturday at some point. x