Chapter 20: You're Still the One

(A/N: the song above is the one Charlotte sings for Severus. I think it describes their relationship rather well at this almost end of the story. I absolutely love the song, and the video. As you can probably tell too, I'm a huge Shania Twain fan.)

Charlotte's POV, the day of the last Tri-Wizard Task

I turned over in the morning, and slowly opened my eyes to find Severus sitting up in the bed, bed sheet covering his naked torso, holding his head up with his arm. He was smiling down at me attractively, and I couldn't help but smile back.
That's when I realized: maybe my hatred all this time, had been me disguising something else entirely.
"Is there a reason you're staring at me, Miss Day?" He purred, smirking.
I bit my lip adorably. "I just want to cement this moment into my mind. Is that a problem?"
He leaned down suddenly, gripped my chin, and enveloped my lips in a passionate kiss that only Severus Snape could give.
I smiled against his lips, running my hands through his hair.
"I love you." I whispered.
His eyes filled with shock at my confession, but he smiled softly after a moment.
"I love you too, Charlotte." He whispered back, his deep baritone leaving my skin tingling.
I felt happy tears fill my eyes. "You do?" I replied.
His eyes searched mine, and I couldn't look away.
"I do. And I'm not sorry for it."
My heart was pounding, and I couldn't believe it.
The first time in my life that I had loved a man, and he felt the same way.
I smiled, and nestled my head against his chest. His arm wrapped around me gingerly, and I sighed in contentment.
"I could stay like this all day." I muttered after a couple of minutes of cuddling in silence.
Severus chuckled. "If only we could. However, I have to be present for the final task of the Tri-Wizard Tournament."
I looked up at him, pouting with puppy dog eyes.
"Must you?"
He eyed me with amusement. "Don't test me, Miss Day."
I bit my lip, giving him an innocent look.
"Whatever are you talking about?" I purred, and I smirked internally in satisfaction at Sev's obvious, physical reaction to my taunts.
"Damn it all to hell." He growled, before grasping my body passionately, and giving me exactly what I wanted.
******
A few hours later
I was dressing myself, just as Severus finished clasping his cloak around his neck.
He stood in front of me, waiting.
I smiled, urging him.
"Go. Before you're late. I'll meet you down there in a bit, there's something I have to do."
He rose an eyebrow, and I rolled my eyes playfully.
"I promise I will. Now go!" I laughed, playfully pushing him out the door. He turned around at the last second, placing a gentle kiss on my lips unexpectedly.
I sighed happily, opening my eyes to look at him after we pulled apart.
"I'll never get tired of that." I admitted.
Severus gave me a smoldering look, which made my knees weak.
"Good."
With that, he left.
*******
The task was just beginning, when I had made my way down to the maze, and the benches. I pushed through people, and saw Severus sitting on a bench, an open spot next to him, that he had obviously been saving for me.
I had just sat down next to him, when Filch fired the cannon, and the champions entered the forest-filled maze.

It felt like the task was going on for a millennium, but Severus hadn't let go of my hand, which he had gently been holding the whole time.
Cedric Diggory and Harry Potter were the only champions left. I could only assume they were okay, considering they hadn't sent up red sparks yet.

Suddenly, I felt Severus tense beside me. He gripped my hand tighter, and I just knew it was from pain.
We looked at each other, and we both stood up, and walked down the benches, and around the corner. The darkness was cloaking us perfectly, as I lifted up his left sleeve.
The Dark Mark was moving.
My heart almost stopped.
"Sev.." I whispered, not knowing what to say.
But, I didn't have to say anything.
Voldemort was back.
Before I could speak again, there was a scream, and Severus and I both raced back into the place.
I covered my mouth in shock, as I watched Harry cry over the dead body of Cedric.
Severus turned to me, amidst the chaos ensuing around us.
"Go back to our chambers, and stay there. I'll be there as soon as I can."
I nodded, and because I technically wasn't a student, I apparated, and a second later, I was back in our shared quarters.
My mind was whirling.
******
When the door opened an hour later, I shot up from the couch, and lunged myself into Sev's arms. He hugged me back just as tightly.
He began to tell me what happened, but I shook my head.
"No. It's not important." I muttered.
I could feel tears filling my eyes, as I looked into the onyx eyes of the man I love.
"I can't stay here." I whispered.
His face dropped.
"I love you, Severus. So much. So unexpectedly. But I have to go into hiding. Me staying with you, it's too dangerous for the both of us."
I waved my hand, and my suitcase came floating out of the bedroom, and shrunk on its own. I picked it up off the floor, and stuck it in my pocket. I placed my wand in my boot.
Severus grabbed my hands in his, his eyes filling with sorrow, but yet understanding.
"As much as it pains me to watch you leave, all I want is to see you safe." He whispered.
I felt the tear silently sliding down my cheek before I could stop it.
"I promise that when this impending war is over, we will come together again. No matter how much time passes, you're still the one. I believe you always were."
Severus smiled sadly, and gently caressed my cheek, wiping away the single tear that had fallen.
I closed my eyes against it. I reopened them, and stepped closer. His lips enveloped mine, in a desperate, loving kiss.
It felt like forever before we pulled apart, our foreheads resting against each other's.
I heard the crack in my voice as I spoke. "Don't forget about me."
Severus traced his finger over my lips, seeming to cement every part of me into his memory.
"Never."
I smiled, despite the tears, and walked into the middle of the room. Before I apparated, I turned around, looking back at him.
"Search your desk, and you'll know where to find me."
With that, I blew him a genuine kiss, and disappeared in a blur.
Sev's POV
I watched her apparate, despair filling my bones. But I knew I had to fight this war, and make it through.
She'd be waiting for me.
I grabbed a glass and a bottle of fire whiskey, and made my way into my classroom, shutting and locking the door behind me. I silenced it as well.
I sat down in my chair, and sitting on the top of my desk was a note and a cassette tape.
I conjured a muggle cassette player, and placed the tape into it.
Charlotte's sweet voice echoed through the air:
"Hey Sev. I promised I would sing a song, just for you, so here it is, and I hope you love it as much as I love you. Listen to it anytime you're missing me."
There was a second of silence before the music started to play, and her voice came through once again:

When I first saw you, I saw love.
The first time you touched me, I felt love.
And after all this time, you're still the one I love...

Hmm, yeah.
Looks like we made it, look how far we've come, my baby.
We might have took the long way, we knew we'd get there someday.

They said, "I bet, they'll never make it." But just look at us, holding on. We're still together, still going strong.
You're still the one I run to, the one that I belong to, you're still the one I want for life.
You're still the one that I love, the only one I dream of, you're still the one I kiss goodnight.

Ain't nothin' better, we beat the odds together. I'm glad we didn't listen, look at what we would be missing.
They said, "I bet, they'll never make it." But just look at us holding on. We're still together, still going strong.

You're still the one I run to, the one that I belong to, you're still the one I want for life.
You're still the one that I love, the only one I dream of, you're still the one I kiss goodnight.

I'm so glad we made it, look how far we've come, my baby....

I could feel my eyes glistening with tears as the song ended, but all I could do was smile.
Her voice would always be beautiful to me, as would she. I turned my attention to the note, gripping it in my fingers, as I opened it.
There were six words written on it.

Le Caveau de la Huchette.
Paris.

I smiled softly.
Despite the war on the horizon, I smiled.
I knew I would see her again.
In fact, I was planning on it.
********
(A/N: longest chapter I've ever written on any story. One more chapter to go, which is the epilogue!
-Hannah x