Chapter 14: Safety & Protection

Charlotte's POV
My eyes fluttered open, but I couldn't move because my body was coursing with pain. Someone had shot me with a spell, that much I was sure. I could only think it was Dark Magic. I bit my lip to keep from screaming.
"Help.." I whispered. My eyes glanced around, and the halls were empty. My attacker was no where to be found. The sun was just rising so I knew it was morning.
I felt my wand still in my hand, and I tried to raise it, and I was able to, albeit rather weakly. I opened my mouth to utter, "Expecto Patronum!" My lioness leapt out of my wand in a burst of light, and I was able to speak two words: "Help. Corridor."
After my lioness ran off, I lowered my wand and my hand fell limply at my side.
Snape's POV
I was preparing myself for the day's classes when an unknown Patronus appeared in my room.
It was a lioness.
The voice that came from it was a familiar one. Charlotte.
"Help. Corridor." And then it disappeared.
My heart seemed to halt its beating, and I raced out of my chambers, and through the dungeons and up into the morning lit corridors. I turned the corner leading to the Gryffindor common room, and I stopped in my tracks abruptly.
******
Charlotte's POV
My mind flooded with relief as I saw Severus kneel down beside me, his face filled with concern.
"Charlotte, fuck, what happened??" He asked urgently, picking me up in his arms bridal style, and starting to walk down the hall.
That was the first time I had ever heard him utter a curse word from what I remember, but my mind was cloudy.
"Some-someone.....attacked me." I said hoarsely. I felt safe in his arms now.
Severus pushed through a pair of doors, and by the white beds and smell of medicine, I knew we were in the hospital wing.
I couldn't keep it in anymore, and I let out between a gasp and a scream of pain as Severus laid me on one of the beds.
Madame Pomfrey raced out of her office at the sound.
I looked over at Snape, and he looked distressed.
"Poppy, someone cursed her last night." He told her, and I tried to nod, but unsuccessfully.
She waved her wand over me for a moment, and I wiggled as I laid there, breathing heavily, trying to get myself under control.
It hurt so much.
"Cruciatus Curse..." She whispered in shock.
My eyes widened as I looked at Severus, and he gripped my shaking hand.
I screamed as a strong wave of pain rushed through my body. This was the worst of them all so far, resulting in me squeezing the life out of Snape's hand, and my other gripping the bed sheet in my fist.
I watched Madame Pomfrey race to her storage cabinet, and I closed my eyes, trying to believe this was all a dream.
I heard her voice next to my ear a moment later, urging me to open my mouth.
I did so, and that was when I felt a disgusting potion spill down my throat. I coughed, and sputtered, as I laid back against the pillow.
My breathing was still heavy, and I was gasping still, but my body was starting to relax, and the pain was fading away. I could still feel mild twinges throughout my body, and I shuddered.
I looked to Severus, and he kissed my hand in a loving gesture. "You're okay, love."
There was a clearing of a throat, I looked to the foot of my bed, and Albus Dumbledore was standing there, looking quite concerned.
I smiled weakly, taking a breath in.
He looked to my right, to Severus.
"I believe Miss Day has been found. She is no longer safe in the vicinity of students, Severus." They seemed to exchange a knowing look between them, and the potions professor looked at me.
"Charlotte will stay with me for the time being. I am the only one who can protect her properly and keep her safe." He addressed.
My mouth quirked up faintly in a weak smile, and all at once, exhaustion flooded my body, and I closed my eyes slowly.
******
Snape's POV
I watched as Charlotte succumbed to sleep. I could see her exhaustion written on her face, and throughout her body. She was weak, but she was going to be okay.
"I haven't seen you this way in many years, my boy." Albus stated from behind me.
I glanced up, and noticed Poppy had walked back into her office.
I sighed. "I think I'm falling in love with her, Albus."
There was a moment of silence.
"You deserve true love, Severus. Let yourself open up to it." Albus whispered, and I heard his footsteps fade away as exited the hospital wing.
I let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding, and looked back down at Charlotte, who was sleeping peacefully.
I moved a strand of hair out of her face gently, as I observed her sleeping form.

She was so beautiful.
All of this was out of character for me; I vowed to never let myself feel this way again.
However, I feel like I would change everything for this woman.
I ran a hand through my hair.
I was exceptionally screwed.
*******