Chapter 10: A Night to Remember

A/N: I literally couldn't wait to post this so I'm doing it sooner than I said, and before work no less! I hope you like it! Oh, and the dress above is Charlotte's dress, and the music video is of the song she sings. She sounds just like that. x)

Charlotte's POV, 1 week later
Tonight was the night of the Yule Ball.
Students alike were chatting excitedly at breakfast about it, talking about who they were going with and what they were wearing, and such.
No one knew that Professor Dumbledore had asked me to perform a song at the ball. He was really impressed by me that day in the Great Hall, so he had asked if I wouldn't mind. I agreed instantly.
Hours later, I sat on my bed, preparing myself. I needed to get ready but I couldn't stop thinking.
About my parents and grandmother, my secret, and Snape.
Yes, I was thinking about Snape. And not in the 'I want to strangle the life out of him' kind of way.
I let out a deep breath, and walked over to my suitcase. I dug to the bottom, and pulled out what I was searching for.
My mother's dress.
It was vintage red satin, with lace sleeves, and a poof skirt.
She had handed it down to me before she died, and there was no way in hell I was going to leave it there to be destroyed.
I gently picked it up, unfolded, and laid it on my bed.
*******
A few hours later
I stared at myself in my bathroom mirror.
The dress fit perfectly, and accentuated my curves. My shoes were strappy silver. My hair was curled into tight ringlets, half up half down, pinned with a silver diamond hairpin. My makeup was smoky, but in a way that brought out my sky blue eyes.
I finished it off by applying some red lipstick.
Breaking me out of my self-assessment, there was a knock on the door.
I walked over and opened it, to see a smiling Valerie behind it.
"Charlotte, you look beautiful!"
I smiled in thanks. "You too, Val."
*****
I smiled as I saw George waiting for me at the entrance to the Great Hall.
His mouth dropped open slightly.
"Look at you, Char. Bloody hell."
I laughed, linking my arm in his.
We entered the Hall, and I felt like everyone was staring at me. I could feel familiar onyx eyes doing so as well.
I searched the crowd with my eyes until I found him.
He was looking at me in a way that made my heart skip a beat.
I turned my attention to the Tri-Wizard Champions, who were entering the Great Hall. They were the first ones to start dancing, and I just watched them.
Until, George gently pulled me on to the dance floor, taking proper form. I smiled, feeling comfortable with one of my best friends.
We started to move around the floor, and I found myself genuinely laughing for the first time in months.
*******
Severus' POV, a couple hours later
I couldn't keep my eyes off of Charlotte, against my better defenses.
I searched the floor again with my eyes, looking for her.
And then I heard her voice, and my head snapped up to look at the stage.
Charlotte's POV
"I'd like to slow things down a bit if you all don't mind." I spoke into the microphone.
I turned to the band, and because we had arranged the song ahead of time, they started to play the intro music to 'Blue Velvet'.
A soft smile found its way onto my lips, and I started to sing:
"Hmmm.....
She wore blue velvet, bluer than velvet was the night.
Softer than satin was the light, from the stars.
She wore blue velvet, bluer than velvet were her eyes.
Warmer than may her tender sighs, what was ours.

I started to sway to the music, and a nostalgic sense washed over me. I found Snape's eyes, and my gaze didn't falter, and neither did his.

Ours a love I held tightly, feeling the rapture grow.
Like a flame burning brightly, but when she left, gone was the glow of
Blue Velvet, but in my heart there'll always be,
Precious and warm a memory, through the years,
And I still can see blue velvet through my tears.

The music faded out, and the couples dancing stopped long enough to applaud, as did the rest of the students in the Great Hall. The professors clapped as well.
"Thank you." I spoke into the microphone, before I descended the steps on the side of the stage, to be met by George.
"Wow Char, I didn't know you were that talented, I mean, I knew, but you were absolutely amazing."
I smiled, "Thank you Georgie, but if you don't mind, I think I need some air. It's crowded in here. I'll see you in a bit."
Severus' POV
I was thoroughly entranced. I couldn't tear my eyes away as Charlotte performed that song.
There was just something about her.
I watched her interact with one of the annoying Weasley's and then step out of the hall. I couldn't help myself so I did the only thing I could do.
I followed her.
Charlotte's POV
I inhaled a breath of the cool night air as I walked out into the courtyard. I could faintly hear the music playing from the Great Hall. I looked up at the sky, admiring the stars.
"What are you doing out here, Miss Day?"
I turned around, and to my surprise, Professor Snape was standing there.
I smiled. "Just getting some air.."
There was a silence between us before he spoke.
"I enjoyed your performance, Miss Day."
I bit my lip, considering my next words.
"Please Professor, call me Charlotte."
Snape smirked lightly, and there was a gentleness in his eyes. "Very well. If that's the case, you may call me Severus."
I rose an eyebrow in disbelief, but didn't respond.
I absentmindedly shivered as a cool wind blew through the courtyard.
Before I could protest or even catch my breath, Severus had removed his elegant suit jacket and placed it gently around my shoulders.
I stared up at him, speechless, as I gripped the edges of his jacket.
"Thank you." I whispered.
We were inches apart from each other, and my nerves caused me to look down at my feet.
I felt rough, yet gentle fingers lift my chin up. Severus just looked at me, an unreadable emotion flashing in his eyes.
'Kiss me' I thought to myself.
I could tell he had read my mind, because his eyebrows furrowed slightly in confusion. A fleeting moment passed between us before it happened.
His hand gently caressed my cheek, and a moment passed before he leaned down, and captured my lips with his. I kissed him back graciously.
It was a sweet yet lustful kiss, and it felt like forever before we pulled apart.
I reopened my eyes and stared into his onyx ones for a split second, before I did the only thing I could think of.
I ran.
********