Chapter 3: First Impressions

I cursed quietly to myself as I walked down the corridor.
It would have been nice if someone had given me a tour of this place. I knew I was probably late for potions.
I looked down at my timetable, scanning the words.
I bumped into someone, managing to stay on my feet. I looked up at the person.
"I'm so sorry...I'm just...do you know where Potions class is?" I asked the kid.
He had slicked back hair, the same blonde as mine. He stared at me open-mouthed for a moment, before he spoke.
"Down in the dungeons. Let me escort you."
I sighed with relief. "Thank you, you're a lifesaver."
It was a few minutes before we arrived to my destination.
"Here you are. My name's Malfoy by the way. Draco Malfoy." He said, and glanced down at my house robes. As soon as he saw I was a Gryffindor, he sneered, and walked away without so much as a farewell.
My brows furrowed in confusion, but I let it go.
I turned around to face the door to the Potions classroom. I gripped the doorknob, and as quietly as I could, opened the door, and stepped inside. I sighed with relief as I saw the two redheads sitting side by side. At least I knew someone...somewhat.
My thoughts were broken by the sound of a deep, baritone voice.
"Can I help you?"
I looked up, and was face to face with the dark-haired professor from breakfast.
"Um..are you Professor Snape?" I questioned.
He raised an eyebrow. "Indeed."
I smiled. "So this must be Potions. I'm in this class, I believe."
Professor Snape chuckled. "Congratulations. Would you like an award?" He replied sarcastically.
I raised an eyebrow, taken aback by this man's attitude. Who did he think he was?
I chuckled in disbelief.
Professor Snape's eyes narrowed.
"Is there something funny, Miss Day?" He hissed.
I just stared at him for a moment.
"Nope, nothing at all." I answered, rolling my eyes.
I knew I had just met him, but he was already pissing me off.
He glared at me, "Be seated."
I did so, grabbing an empty seat.
Professor Snape turned back around, black cape billowing around him. I bit my lip, trying not to laugh at the man's dramatics.

Potions class couldn't have ended soon enough. I was all excited for it, but of course everything I start to care about has to be ruined.
And the ruiner in question?
Professor Snape.
I didn't know it was possible to hate someone on a first impression, but I
definitely hated him.
I went to collect my books together, and walked towards the door, the last student out. Before I could leave though, the door slammed shut.
I sighed in annoyance, and turned around to face Snape.
"May I help you?" I said.
His hands were folded in his lap, as he leaned back in his seat, glaring at me.
"Only your first day at Hogwarts, Miss Day, and you seem dead-set on proving how utterly disrespectful you can be."
I laughed, a dry sound. "Don't worry, I can be worse. This was nothing."
Snape's eyes narrowed. "Who do you think you are?"
I stared right at him. "I think I'm a new student, Professor Snape, and I'm still working on first impressions, and you sir...yours wasn't very good."
"I don't care what your first impression is of me, but I will show you what happens when you disrespect authority." Snape replied, smirking cruelly.
I snorted, unable to help myself. "Hit me with your best shot."
Snape stood up.
"Very well. Detention, in here, 8pm tonight. Don't plan on bringing your wand. You won't be needing it."
My brows furrowed in anger. "I just got here!"
"And you wasted no time disrespecting a teacher. Detention. Tonight. Now get out of my sight."
I huffed, before turning on my heel, and exiting out of the classroom.
I could feel my hair turning orange at the tips of my blonde, and I closed my eyes, breathing in, then out. After a couple minutes, I looked down at my hair, and it was all blonde again.
I could only bet I broke a record for quickest detention ever given to a student.
I cursed.
'Nice way to begin anew, Char' I reprimanded myself.
My other classes flew by, my mind whirling around the insufferable git who gave me detention.

Severus' POV
That arrogant, little brat. I would show her the consequences of disrespect.
She won't like it one bit.
*****