Chapter 16: What Are We?

Charlotte's POV, 7am
My heart was beating against my chest as I ran. But no matter how fast I ran, I stayed in place, unable to move.
I could see him kneeling on the ground, black cape flaring out beneath him, as he clutched a limp body to him. I recognized the blonde hair, and I stopped in my tracks, eyes widening.
It was me.
Out of the shadows, came a figure who made my breath catch.
The Dark Lord.
I opened my mouth to warn Severus, but no sound came out.
And suddenly, a green light flashes, and I let out a scream....

I shot up, and let out a gasp, breaking myself out of the nightmare. My breathing was heavy, and I was crying.
The room was dark, as it always is, and Severus was asleep next to me.
I quietly got out of the bed, and padded to the bathroom, and closed the door behind me. I sat down on the floor, leaning against the wall, trying to get myself back together.
Every night this week, I've had the same recurring nightmare, and it was starting to get really old, really fast.
The first night it happened, Severus had woken up with me, and assured me it was just a dream, while holding me to his chest as I sobbed.
I had a bad feeling, but I pushed it down, and I would continue to push it down, because it wasn't reality.
After I had calmed down, my mind started to wander to the nature of Severus and I.
We hadn't talked about it, but I assumed we were together. I mean, I don't just go around kissing people who I don't see myself being in a proper relationship with.
And Severus and I had been doing a lot of that.
I sighed, as I stood up on somewhat shaky knees, and looked in the mirror. I ran a hand through my messy hair, and took a deep breath.
I walked out of the bathroom, and almost yelped in surprise as I saw Severus sitting up in the bed, against the headboard. The lights were on.
His eyes showed concern, and he motioned for me to join him on the bed. I did so, and curled up into the crook of his arm, as he held me.
"Again?" He asked softly. I smiled a little as he kissed my forehead soothingly.
"Unfortunately." I muttered.
Severus looked down at me, under hooded eyelids, a smirk on his face.
I rose an eyebrow.
"Would you like some tea?" He asked.
I couldn't help the smile playing on my lips.
"I most certainly would."
*******
"Thanks." I said as Severus handed me a cup of tea.
He sat down across from me, and we both took a sip from our mugs.
I instantly felt better, because tea is the cure to anything.
I placed my cup on the table.
"Severus, what are we?" I asked, looking up at him.
He rose an eyebrow. "I believe we are in a proper relationship, but do tell if that isn't the case." He smirked playfully at the end of the sentence.
I laughed. "I was just wondering, because we hadn't talked about it."
He leaned over the table, gripping my hands in his. "I assure you, that is what we are."
I smiled. "Good to know."
Severus' eyes flashed with amusement.
"Don't you think you should be getting ready for classes? Everyone still thinks you're a student, you know."
I playfully glared at him. "What about you, Professor? I believe you have classes to teach."
******
"Hey Val." I greeted as I sat down next to her later that day, in Potions Class.
She gave me a smile, but it didn't reach her eyes.
However, before I could inquire as to what was wrong, Severus started introducing the lesson.
We were making a very complex potion today, that if not made correctly, would explode.
I got out of my seat, and went to retrieve the proper ingredients, and returned just as Valerie was finishing adjusting the cauldron.
I smiled. "Are we good?"
She nodded, and her eyes seemed better, but I didn't question it.
I opened our textbook, and started following the instructions carefully.
It was thirty minutes into the class when Valerie and I were finishing up, and everything was going according to plan.
I stirred the potion, waiting for the color to change to the proper one, which was purple.
It wasn't. It was red.
My brows furrowed in confusion.
"Val???" I started to question before I heard a bubbling noise, and I was able to jump to the floor, just in time to avoid getting burnt as the potion exploded. I looked to Valerie, who was standing off on the other side. Something seemed off, but I couldn't figure out what.
Severus rushed over, pulling me to my feet. His eyes shone with concern, before they switched to anger.
"What the bloody hell just happened?!" He yelled, as our classmates stared at us.
"I..must have put a wrong ingredient in." I muttered, looking up at Severus.
He just looked at me.
"Class dismissed."
Everyone shot up out of their seats, and I glanced at Valerie, who wouldn't look at me.
After the room was empty, Severus closed the door.
He approached me, grasping my wrists gently, searching my exposed arms for signs of injury.
"Are you hurt?" He asked.
I shook my head. "No, just dazed."
Severus placed a hand on my cheek, searching my face.
"What is it, Charlotte?"
"Something's up with Valerie. She's not herself." I stated.
"Maybe she's having a bad day. Or perhaps, you don't know her as well as you think you do." Severus replied.
I nodded, considering.
"Maybe. I think I'll keep my distance though. There is somebody trying to kill me."
I was only a few inches shorter than Severus, but when he pulled me closer to him, I smiled, feeling safe.
"I can assure you, that won't be occurring on my watch, Miss Day." He said, placing a quick kiss on my lips.
I smirked, wrapping my arms around his waist.
"You're my hero, Professor Snape." I replied teasingly, and he smirked attractively in return.
********