22.

*Zayn's POV*

The next morning my mom took me for breakfast and I wore a beanie and a tee shirt with a sweater just so no one from my school would notice me and want to laugh at me or something.

I wanted to pull my hair when I saw Allison and Niall come in though.

"Please mom just ignore them." I said and she glanced over for a second and then back at me.

"Does it involve him having a new girlfriend?" She asked.

"It's just fuel to the flame." I said and she nodded.

"Zayn do you like Niall?" She asked me lowly.

"No. But I used to. I thought I loved him. That's so weird but I don't know I've never loved before so I think I was just strongly in like with him. But that's over." I said and she grabbed my hand.

"I didn't know you liked boys. I mean I should have probably noticed. You never had a friend over and when you did it was a guy." She said and laughed and I rolled my eyes playfully.

"But it's kinda upsetting to hear about that. You must have confessed your feelings for him and it didn't go so well." She said and I nodded.

The waiter came with our food and we thanked him before he left again.

"But please. He's something if the past. Let's not mention him anymore even though he's sitting about 4 yards away." I said and she nodded.

"So what did you do there that you haven't done here?" She asked.

"I went to the beach, I ate from a truck, I played volleyball with strangers, I got paid for making a floor print, I 'fought' with a boy on the second day of school, I-" I said but she made me stop.

"You did what now?" She asked.

"Got paid to make a floor plan." I said and I smiled at her.

"After that." She said and I sighed.

"This guy. He continued to bother me and I was new there. He challenged me." I said and her eyes went wide.

"You know I don't condone fighting." She said.

"I know but to say the most... I won. I knocked him out with the first blow." I said and she laughed.

"Still doesn't make it right." She said and we ate.

We talked more about what I did and the friends I made there and she talked about how being alone on her own for 3 months was okay. She told me she started cooking with turkey and chicken and I was more than happy about that.

"Zayn you don't care what people think right?" She asked.

"No but people wouldn't think anything about me if they've never seen me before." I said hunching.

"And if they saw you so what right?" She asked.

"It depends if it's negative attention or positive attention." I say.

"You're not a bad guy so let's just say positive." She said.

"Then no I wouldn't care." I said.

"Well take off the beanie and the sweater." She said and I looked at her as if she said to put my head in a guillotine.

"What? No mom. At school they started hanging my picture up around." I said.