Face It

The long road seemed to go on and on. My breath failed to escape my lungs as my legs kept wanting to give up. Black*Star complained about his hang over and yelled even louder in the agony. I growled at his voice, "Would you shut up!" I turned on my heel. "The reason you hate this so much is because you are yelling at the top of your lungs making you complain even louder!" I screamed at him and kicked a near by rock. 

Soul gripped onto my arm, "Calm down." His solid eyes stared into mine. I drew in a few breaths but it was no use. Maka clapped her hands together, "Let's rest for a while." She smiled and pulled out a full sandwiches. Tsubaki sighed in relief as she walked Black*Star over to the shade under a small tree. She walked back over to Maka, grabbed water and two sandwiches and made her way back. 

Maka handed me one, "Before we left, I made a few snacks and got some drinks." She smiled and handed one to Soul along with two bottles of water and walked over to help with Black*Star. I growled and kicked the large rock before sitting down and munching on my sandwich in anger. Soul groaned as he fell down next to me. The view around us was calm and silent, the trees blew around the grass valley and the sun misted over the trees and colored the field. Soul glanced at me from the corner of his eye, "So, what's wrong with you?" He bit into his sandwich. I breathed out my nose, "Nothing." I mumbled out with a mouthful of food. Soul pushed me softly, "Come on." He laughed. I swallowed and pulled out the stone, "This only can take four people back while two people have to take the long way back." I gently threw it up, catching it in the palm of my hand. Soul nodded his head and took another bite of the sandwich. I sighed and shoved it back in my pocket.
"Pretty interesting." He mumbled. "So who is gonna take the long road?" He looked at me as I shrugged and finished off my sandwich. I could hear Black*Star mumbling in the distance. My eyes fell to the ground where I watched the strands of grass brush gentle and the soft dirt hugging them tightly and the snail slowly making its way home. 
Soul sighed, "Look..about last night...I-" 
I jumped off the rock, "Let's get going." I swung my bag over my shoulders. I didn't want to hear it, it was a mistake and it never should of happened. None of this should of happened. 

Everyone walked the path slowly, the wind giving us a small cool hug before disappearing letting the sun drench us in its heat. The cicadas chipped loudly and the heat steamed off the ground. The day was long and tiring but we got some much closer to our destination than we expected.

We all collapsed under some jungle trees and took in deep breaths, the sun was starting to set and the sweat that hugged our bodies laughed at our smells. I stretched, "Only 5 hour walk tomorrow!" I breathed out loudly, throwing my head back. I heard everyone groan out a 'yay' but we were to exhausted to even cheer. The girls and I managed to push ourselves up.
"There is a stream nearby that is very covered so no one would be able to see us." Her eyes glanced over at the boys who put their hands up innocently. I clapped, "Let's go!" We pushed off and started to walk to the stream to clean ourselves off. 

***    

"Ow!" Soul yelled, holding his head in pain. 
"What did I tell you?!" Maka lectured him. Soul folded his arms and turned his head away, "I'm a guy. What do you expect..." He mumbled.
"Have the decency not to look!" She spat at him. 
"Chicks striping and bathing! Who wouldn't want to see that?!" He spat back. "Besides," He turned his head and pinched his lips out. "I wasn't looking at you with a chopping board chest." He mentioned. Maka gasped, "Maka chop!!" She slammed a book into his head and walked off with a huff.

We laughed at the dent that laid in Souls' head. I smiled down at the emerald flares that would float out from the fire. Tsubaki sat next to me and Maka fell next to me. We watched the fire till we all passed out on the soil.

***  

The sun was just raising but everyone was already up, we kicked out the fire and packed up. We set off once more eating some fruit Maka bought and rambled on about what we would find. 

Our feet stopped dead as we reached our detestation, we stared in awe up at the ruins. Large walls stood tall, some sides crumbled off, others gave up and fell. Grass seeped through the cracks of the broken stone paths, the whole place gave off a deathly feeling.
"Welp! We're here." Black*Star called out and began to press forward but Soul grabbed his collar before he could step any further. I stared in fear up at the entrance that beckoned people to face the frighten Lord Deaths cousin; The Grim Reaper. I stood there froze. 

' This is it. You get to have Kid back, back with everyone.' I told myself. Taking in a breath, I felt my throat close up. The worst thing to happen is that we can't bring Kid back, we would be lucky if only two people made it out alive if we couldn't bring him back. It's scary to think about something that can be so scary that everything seems to disappear if you can't get it back. I felt my shoulder go down and my body fail on me. My knees hit the ground, my eyes unable to leave the entrance. 

Soul bent down, rubbing my back, "It's alright. We will get him back." He whispered. I nodded slowly and started pushing myself back up. I looked behide me and watched as all the weapons turned and went into their meisters hands. I took a deep breath and began to take steps up the broken stairs and into the dark entrance.