1. Congratulations

Krystina

5 Years Later.......

"Congratulations Krys!" I hear as I get off of the elevator, and make my way into the main office.

Everyone on the floor is gathered in the sitting area, giving me a round of applause. Their faces smile up at me, while their mouths exclaim congratulatory words. And right there, smack dab at the center of it all, is my best friend, Savannah.

I've been working at Paramount Advertising since I moved to Chicago. I was hired as an intern fresh out of college. After interning for a year and a half, I was promoted to a Media Buyer. During that time, my team and I were in charge of deciding the best place, or way, to get our ads seen, which would in turn, determine the ads impact. After slaying in that department for two years, I moved on to be a art director,which basically meant that I was in charge of coming up with the adverts. Now, a year and a half later, I've been promoted to Head Creative Director, which means I run the whole damn ship. Mr. Welsh, the CEO, made the grand announcement at our quarterly company dinner this past friday. It is a promotion well deserved, if I may say so myself. My last big project, a commercial and billboard for a popular clothing line, increased our clientele by 32 percent.

"I knew you were up to something when you left out early this morning without making breakfast. You never leave the house before 8:30a.m." I tell her, hugging her tightly. "'Going to the gym', my ass. I had to eat a pop tart for breakfast because of you." I jokingly shove her, before pulling her into a hug.

"Well, I wanted to put together a little something for you. Show you how much we appreciate you. No one deserved this promotion but you. Our clientele has increased, our pay has increased, as well as our exposure, and it's all because of you. So, cheers to Krystina. May she bring us more clients and more money!" she says laughing loudly.

______________________________

"Mr. Welsh wants to see you in his office." My assistant tells me through the intercom an hour later.

"Thank You Priscilla."

When I first started working here, it felt like freshman year of high school all over. I was inexperienced and fresh out of college with no idea how to start any of my projects. I thought all of my ideas were cheesy and overdone. My creative juices were on standstill. It wasn't until the Starbucks barista downstairs wrote my name in the most atrocious handwriting possible, that I was finally struck with some artist inspiration. Two and a half years later, I made her my assistant.

I quickly head out of the office and onto the elevator. Mr. Welsh's office is on the top floor, being CEO and all of course.

Mr Welsh, or Kent as he has me call him, is probably the fittest 65 year old man I've ever seen. He's been married for 37 years, and has a wonderful son I'm proud to call my friend and coworker. Over the 5 years that I've worked here, he's become the 'father' I've always yearned for. My relationship with my own dad is practically non existent, so when I was going through my struggles and in need of a male perspective, Kent was always there to lend a hear and offer advice.

When I get off of the elevator, his secretary escorts me to his office.

"You wanted to see me sir?" I greet him as I walk in.

"Yes, yes. Come in. I heard you had a bit of a celebration downstairs?" He asks amused.

"Yeah." I laugh. "Courtesy of Sav."

"I know I told you this on Friday night, but you truly deserved the promotion, Krys. The things you've done for this company......I'll be forever grateful." He tells me sincerely.