13. No Finding Dory For You

Krystina.

Oh no. This shirt is definitely going back to the store. I was planning on wearing it to dinner on Friday, but I guess that won't be happening.

I glance at myself again in the full length mirror in my closet, shaking my head.

This is what I get for buying it without trying it on.

The blouse is a gorgeous periwinkle color, and unfortunately, way too big for me. The tag says medium, but it's obvious that this shirt does not fit into that category.

"I guess I'll take it back tomorrow when I take Bry to school.", I huff to myself.

If I can find the receipt.

With that thought, I leave the my bedroom and make my way to the trashcan in the kitchen.

Taking the lid off, I quickly start my search for the receipt.

Taco Bell wrappers...

Victoria's Secret ad...

Publix coupons...

Cable bill...

Field Day...

Ooh. A field day flyer? We love going to community events like that. Why would someone throw it away?

My curiosity gets the better of me and I grab the paper and pull it out. It's crumpled up and torn in a few places, but the words 'field day' are easily read.

Unravelling it, the title momentarily stills my movements.

Father and son field day.

A part of me, a very foolish part, hopes that the flyer belonged to Kyle and that he subconsciously threw it out because he doesn't yet have children of his own. Kyle has taken Bry to a few similar events before. Maybe this time it slipped his mind? But when I read the bottom of the page and see that the event is hosted by and will be held at Bry's preschool, my heart sinks in realization.

Lord give me strength.

I grab the note, disregarding the trash on the kitchen floor, and head upstairs to Bryan's room.

He is, ironically enough, running around his room in the business man costume that came with the S&S action figure he got for his birthday.

"Hey, muffin." I walk in and sat on the bed. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

He quickly obliges, dropping his toy and climbing onto the bed next to me.

I pull the flyer from my back pocket. "I found this in the trash today." I hold it up in front of him. "What was it doing there?"

"I put it there." He tells me quietly, holding his head down.

"Why?"

"Because." He pauses, fidgeting. "Because what, baby?" I probe, rubbing his back gently.

"Because, you have to have a daddy to go. And I don't got one." He says, sniffling.

"Oh baby." I pick him up and sit him on my lap facing me.
"What about uncle Kyle? You know he'd go with you if you wanted him to."

"I don't wanna go with uncle Ky!" He wails suddenly, covering his crying eyes with his fists. "I wanna go with m-my daddy, but I c-can't cause I don't h-have one." He stutters through his tears

"Don't say that. Of course you have a daddy, honey!"

"I d-do?" He asks looking up at me.

"Absolutely!" I beam at him. "I'm going to tell you something, okay? It's about me and your daddy."