29. Parental Duties

Krystina

I would like to say that I was completely prepared for the strange looks and stares that Stephen and I garnered when we walked into the classroom.

But I wasn't.

Here's the thing. As an African American woman, living in America obviously, I'm no stranger to racism, prejudice, or preconceived notions.

I happen to live in an area that has become increasingly gentrified, and filled with Caucasians.

These aforementioned Caucasians have, maybe one or ten times, given me off looks when I, a black woman, single handedly drop of my obviously biracial child.

Now, here I stand, thicker than a snicker in my high waisted jeans and t-shirt, standing beside my Caucasian baby daddy.

And although I'm taken slightly aback by some of the looks, I won't let that stop me from flaunting my super fine, super rich, super white baby daddy in front of these super shook individuals.

So, I pick up my head, move Stephen even closer to me, and continue walking to the classroom where the presentation and conferences will take place.

Just as we walk in, Rachael Gladwell and her husband, Clay, make to greet us.

"Krystina, darling." She says as way of greeting. She tries but fails to hide the look of disdain that crosses her features when she notices my attire.

It's a preschool parent-teacher conference Rachael, not a soiree. There's no need to come dressed to the nines and covered in pearls.

"Rachael." I reply, instead.

Her gaze moves from me to Stephen. "Hello, I don't think we've ever met. I make it my personal mission to be on a first name basis with all parents, and I definitely don't know yours. I'm Rachel Gladwell, my son's name is Carmichael." She says extending her hand.

Stephen glances at me first, before shaking her proffered hand and introducing himself. "I'm Stephen Sims. Bryan's father."

Duh.

"Oh, how lovely!" She exclaims. "I was starting to worry about Bryan and all the father-son activities he's been missing out on." She says, causing both mine and Stephs eyebrows to raise. She ignores the expressions. "It's just, young boys, especially black ones, really need their fathers in their lives to help steer them on the right path."

"Uh uhn

"Uh uhn." I chuckle dryly, looking her up and down. "Well my, our, son is doing just fine. Nothing at all that you need to concern yourself with Karen. I mean Rachel." I say politely, trying to resist the urge to tear her a new one.

With another glare in her direction, I take Stephen's arm and lead him to the other side of the room.

"I cannot believe she just said that to us." Stephen says once we're alone.