10. Confrontation.

Krystina.

"Then who cashed the check, Krystina?"

It's been nearly three weeks since the episode in my office, and Stephen's question still rings in my head.

Following the screaming match that ensued after I insisted that I had never taken or accepted any money from Stephen's father, I told him my version of how things played out that night.

After calling me a "fucking fool" for believing that he would ever cheat on me, especially after we'd started talking about marriage, Stephen stormed out of the room. Two days later, a re-revised copy of the S&S contract was waiting for me on my desk, informing me that Stephen would no longer be directly involved in the project.

"Then who cashed the check, Krystina?"

"Ms. Green? It's about time for you to clock out." Priscilla says with a knock, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Thank you, Priscilla." I tell her faintly.

She says in the doorway for a few moments, "Is everything okay?" She asks, concern on her face.

"Everything's fine." I smile tightly.

___________________________________________________________________

"Ohmygod. All of those Disney's movies they played last weekend, are On Demand now!" Savannah screeches as she rushes into my room.

It takes her less than two seconds to notice the half packed suitcase sitting on my bed. "Are you going somewhere?" She inquires, raising her eyebrows.

"Yeah, I'm gonna home for the weekend. Me and Bryan. We haven't seen my mom since Thanksgiving last year and I think it'll be a really nice surprise for her." I tell her whilst throwing my church clothes into the bag.

She eyes me for a moment, "Don't be faux deep with me, Krys. We both know you're going up there to get answers." She smirks.

I roll my eyes skyward before sighing. "Yeah, okay, I am going to get answers," she laughs, "BUT, Bryan hasn't seen her in months and he really misses his grandma." I tell her.

"When are you guys leaving?"

"First thing in the morning. I'll text you all the flight information when we get to the terminal."

"So, Kyle and I will have the entire house to ourselves until Monday?" She asks cheekily

"Yes. Please keep all your activities PG-13 while we're away, at least on my side." I tell her, knowing very well where her thoughts were headed.

"Of course!" She says sarcastically, before leaving the room.

___________________/\___________________________/\____________________

"There he is! Look at my handsome little man!" My mother screams as I open the car door to let Bryan out.

"Come here, let me just look at you!" She gushes. "You look more and more like your fa--" I cough loudly to cut her off. Seeing the viscous glare, she amends her statement. "--bulous mother every time I see you." She laughs nervously.

"Nice save." I tell her dryly as we all walk into the house.

At 49 years old, Gabrielle Green is just as blunt and energetic as she's been my whole life. She's got her hair in rope twists again, and to strangers, we probably look like sisters. Her only giveaways are the grey strands of hair coming through her braids.

"Grandma, did you make me a pie?" Bryan asks after we get situated.

"No sugar, I didn't make you a pie. Heck, I didn't even know you were coming."

"Surprise!" He yells out, ten minutes later than he was originally supposed to, causing us all to laugh.

"But now that you're here, how about you come into the kitchen and help grandma make you a nice apple pie, huh." She says ushering him into the kitchen.

I take the time to look around the house, going through each of the bedrooms and bathrooms. It hasn't changed at all, with the exception of a few extra photographs and decorative pillows.

Surely the house would've had a few upgrades if my mom cashed a 100k check, right?

Two hours, and two slices of pie later, Bryan is asleep on the carpet in front of the television. After my mom takes a couple dozen pictures of him, I tell her that we need to talk.

"Sure, what's up?" She says settling down right next to me on the porch swing.

"You remember Stephen, don't you?" I ask.

"Of course I remember him Krystina. I'm reminded of him every time I see my grandson." She says smartly.

"Well, we're actually working together on a project for his company." I say gauging her reaction.

She appears unfazed and mildly interested, so I continue.

"We had a pretty interesting conversation a few weeks ago." I tell her vaguely.

"Does he know about Bryan?" She asks befuddled.

"No, nothing like that. But he does vehemently insist that his father wrote you a check for One hundred thousand dollars, and that you cashed it."

"What in the world are you talking about!" She says, standing up.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about and I refuse to ignore the facts here. YOU were the one who told me about Stephen cheating, which he claims never happened. YOU were the one that talked to Calvin that day, mom. You and Mr. Sims planned the whole thing out. He paid you to lie to me. He paid you to ruin mine and Stephen's relationship. You! How could you do this to me?!" I shout.

She grabs me by chin and turns me so that I'm looking her straight in the eyes. "Listen to me Krystina! I don't know what you're talking about, honey. I might not have been the most supportive of your relationship, but I would never stoop that low." She says shaking me lightly.

I shake my head at her, refusing to listen.

"I never talked to Calvin that day." She continues, finally catching my attention.

"Yes you did. You're the one who told me!"

"Yes, but Calvin isn't the one who told me!" She tells me desperately.

"Then who told you. Could you please stop giving me the runaround, and just tell me what the hell happened?!" I beg her.

"I'd had a guest over that day. I didn't want to tell you, because it turned out to be a bad visit. I was upstairs looking for something when the doorbell rang. He said he'd answer it for me, and I let him. They talked for about ten minutes, and I was just coming down the stairs when I saw Calvin leave out. I asked him what Calvin wanted, and he told me the same story I told to you." She says with tears in her eyes.

"Who was it mom?"

She looks at me sympathetically, shaking her head as if not even she herself can believe that such a thing occurred.

"Your dad." She sighs.

____________________________________________________________________
Sorry if it seems kinda rushed.
I had a bit of writer's block, sadly.

ANYWAY

Lolololololololol

You guys ALL thought it was her mom lol

SIKE HOE!

This is more of a filler chapter, than anything. We've got some pretty interesting stuff coming in the next few chapters though, so hold on to your weaves ladies!!!

We're almost at 20k reads, which of course is ridiculously fantastic!

Thank you ALL again for your support!

Don't forget to comment and VOTE!!