14. Stumped.

Krystina.

"Hello Krystina."

I'm usually not one to play the blame game, but since being assigned the S&S Toys project, the strangest things keep happening to me. Fernando being the S&S rep, seeing Stephen at the club, Bryan randomly asking about his father, Fernando finding out about Bryan, the list goes on.

New day, new abnormal occurrence.

And judging by the person standing in front of me, today is no exception.

She looks every bit as poised as she always has. Her dark brown hair is slightly curled and pulled to one side, her diamond studs glisten as she tilts her head to side, and her youthful face pulls into a wide cautious smile.

"Mrs

"Mrs. Sims!" I breathe out, shocked.

She laughs lightly, "I wasn't even completely sure it was you before I said your name. My, you haven't changed at all, Krystina." She looks me up and down.

I'm still standing at a lost for words, my mouth opening and closing repeatedly. How can she speak to me so casually? She and Stephen have always been close. Surely she must know of the interesting conclusions we've come to about her husband.

"I......I don't know what say. I'm honestly stumped. This is the last place I would've expected to run into you." I tell her.

Had I still lived in New York, I wouldn't have been surprised to see her here at all. If there were two places you were guaranteed to find Larissa Sims, they were the kitchen and the grocery store. She was married to one of the richest men in the country, and was the only wife in her circle of friends who didn't hire out a chef.

She'd always been the maternal type. I used to wonder why she married Stephen's father, of all people. They were, at least in my opinion, polar opposites. Where he was cold and often put business before everything, she was warm and family oriented. 

I already figured she was in town to see her son, but I ask anyway. "What are you doing in Chicago?"

"Oh. Well, Stephen lives here now. He said he needed to talk to his father and I, so after Calvin landed this morning, we flew right over. Stephen doesn't know we're here yet. I'm going to surprise him with dinner. Knowing him, it'll probably be the first home cooked meal he's had in a while." She says, her eyes lighting up and the thought of cooking for her son.

Movement from the end of the aisle briefly catches my attention. I discretely glance over Mrs. Sims shoulder and see Bryan staring intently at two different cartons of ice cream.

He's such an adorable kid, even when he's doing the most mund-

Wait, what?

The entirety of the situation hits me like a ton of bricks.